Q&A with Harrogate author Malcolm Hollingdrake


Malcolm Hollingdrake is a prolific writer with three books in the DCI Bennett books under his belt as well as some earlier works, all of which are available on Amazon. I am pleased to say, also that Malcom is a local man, living in that hotbed of crime, Harrogate.  It's really lovely to have you here on The Crime Warp hot seat Malcolm.  So let's get started...




Available free on Amazon unlimited
or for £1.99 or PB £8.99
Click here
Liz: Where did the inspiration for the DCI Bennett books come from?

Malcolm: I had originally signed a four book deal with Bloodhound Books and so I wanted Book Four to be read as possibly the last in the DCI Bennett books.  My love of art and antiques inspired me to use a certain object within the story, an object that might not be considered a murder weapon. (Now you are thinking, Professor Plum in the bedroom with a
candlestick!). No but I believe the object worked well. I also wanted Cyril to suffer a personal tragedy. I then received a three book extension to the contract so Cyril hopefully will fight another day.

Liz: I certainly hope so as I love Cyril and sincerely hope any tragedy is surmountable for him.  If the DCI Bennett books were ever to be televised or made into films who would you like to play your main character and why?

Malcolm: I don’t have a TV at home and I haven’t since 1984 when we went to work in Cairo. However, I have given this a great deal of thought and I think the perfect actor to play DCI Cyril Bennett would be Tom Hollander. Strangely, I know the perfect theme music if ever it were made into a TV series at that would be ‘Auld Wives’ by Bear’s Den.




Liz (practically jumping off her chair):  Yes yes, Tom Holland... inspired choice!  (Pulling herself together) Could you describe how the germ of an idea develops into a full-blown novel?

Malcolm: Sometimes I write from an initial idea, for example, in ‘Flesh Evidence’ I started writing about the child receiving
a jar of honey from the stranger and taking it home only to discover the hidden secret it contained. This was then moved further into the novel as I created the story backwards. It was only then could I move from there to the finish. I honestly don’t know how it works. I usually have no idea of how the novel will end, even when three quarters written! I do keep moving around also, adding bits here or changing elements until I’m comfortable with it. What I’m trying to say is that I don’t have a clear plan, the story just develops or comes to me when I’m out or at night and I have to get it down otherwise it will disappear in the ether.

Liz: Where is your favourite place to write and why?

Malcolm: The dining room table. The window is south facing
and the sun on my back is always delightful. One day I shall have a room purely for writing where I can spread the research material out and leave it.

Liz: That's my dream to.  To have a writer's only space.  Any tips for would-be writers seeking publication?

Malcolm: Keep trying. I nearly gave up as I had self-
Available on Amazon
Click here
published but I received great encouragement from Angie Marsons and then reading your book ‘Unquiet Souls’ took me to the door of your publisher. Everything seemed to slot into place. So DON’T GIVE UP!


Liz:  That's so nice to say Malcolm.  For those of you out there who don't realise it, neither Malcolm or I are under 50 years old!
Any writing exercises you’ve found particularly useful as a writing stimulus?

Malcolm: I love writing short stories and ‘Flash’ stories, fewer than 100 words. Makes you think about and place every word with care. I self-published a collection of short stories about a year ago and I shall write more. Entering short story competitions is great fun.

Liz: Can you tell us two things about yourself that your readership may be unaware of?

Malcolm: I had a pilot’s Licence in 1984. I’ve been happily
married for forty years.

Liz:  Both very commendable snippets.  If you weren’t a writer what would you like to do?

Malcolm: I would have loved to be an artist. I can paint and I have sold my work but my uncle attended the Bradford School of art alongside David Hockney who was born within a stone’s throw of my birthplace. I’d love to swap places with him for a week.

Liz: There's a new Hockney Gallery opening in Cartwright Hall Lister Park, Bradford.  We'll have to pay it a visit when
it's open. So, who or what inspires you to keep writing?

Malcolm: My wife has never lost faith in my ability to write. She tells me that I have a unique style but then she would, I guess! The bloggers and the reviewers also have given me such a lift. Their positive praise of the series has been a truly humbling experience. Bloodhound Books having the initial
Available on Amazon
Click here
confidence in an unknown and then committing again; how do you thank that strength of faith? Finally, when I read reviews where they finish with, “Can’t wait for the next book.” They just give me a tingle that just can’t fail to inspire me to write just one more book..


Liz: Could you describe the book you are working on at the moment using only 5 words?

Malcolm: The artistic skill of murder.

Liz:  Ah, very intriguing.   Do you linger in your research period or do you rush your research to get stuck into the writing?

Malcolm: I try not to rush the research; to me it’s the key. The
available on Amazon
Click here
other day I spent two hours travelling and one hour interviewing in the name of research. There will be another few hours listening over again to the interview recording. The research and the writing sit comfortably each with the other. I may still be researching whilst the writing is developing.

Thank you very much indeed for the interview. I have thoroughly enjoyed it.

Liz:  It's been an absolute pleasure Malcolm

Comments

  1. Lovely interview indeed!Awesome fact that Malcolm Hollingdrake is inspired by your book, Liz, and your Unquiet Souls somehow gave him just the extra push he needed!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will now be placed in a moderation queue for approval.