Lets find out about Owen Mullen, best selling author of the Charlie Cameron PI series




Owen is in the enviable position of having three books released this year, so The Crime Warp is lucky he's managed to squeeze us in to his very busy schedule.  A huge welcome to fellow Scot Owen Mullen... over to you, Owen.






Current Work
My current release is actually the first 3 books in the Charlie
Available on Amazon
Click here 
Cameron Glasgow PI series - all released a month apart Jan. Feb. Mar.
Each is a stand alone novel with the 4 central characters appearing throughout. Although Charlie is based in Glasgow the series is set in other areas of Scotland, a diverse and scenically beautiful country.
The stories are gritty but softened by the characters humour. As you would expect there are many
Available on Amazon
Click  here
twists and turns. In writing this series my ambition is to present the reader with a real whodunnit!

My ideas come in different forms - a title, a newspaper article, or an idea that comes from something my wife Christine has said. For me after that it's plotting and research. From this I will  have a beginning and an ending...now all I have to work on is that pesky bit in the middle. Once you know where you want to go the story takes over.

I am particularly fond of Patrick Logue; the Glasgow wide-boy. Patrick is a character and a half. His personal life is a disaster, he drinks too much and he's always short of money. But he is a good guy; easy to like. Humour is such a part of Glasgow the series wouldn't be authentic without it and Patrick really makes me smile.

Writing Habits
My version of writer's block isn't that I can't write but that I
don't like what I do write. When that happens - and it isn't often I take a step back and remind myself what story I'm trying to tell. If that doesn't work I write my way through it.

For so many years writing took all of my time, to the exclusion of almost everything else. Not a good way to live; no balance.  So now I do have a routine. I write for 5 hours 5 days a week. And then, no matter where I am in the story, I stop. Because tomorrow is another day.

Author As A Person
I like to cook. Food and travel are great passions in our house.  Before I started writing I was a singer songwriter and musician...was fortunate to play alongside some amazing talents, and occasionally I still write songs.

I am reading James Lee Burke The Neon Rain, good stuff.
People like Stephen King and Ian Rankin amaze me; writing for so many years yet still so prolific. This is how I aspire to be.

Future Projects
I have already done this with a novel I hope will be published soon. Set in Pakistan after one of several visits to the region. It is a favourite piece of work, so look out for it.

Yes I have enough projects for the next 4 years, and each of them call to me so I have to prioritise. So I tell myself the book I want to write is the one I am writing, and put the others aside.

Thank you so much Owen and The Crime Warp wishes you every success in your future projects.

Comments

  1. Really enjoyed The Charlie Cameron series and I it continues. Wonderful stories with great characters.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will now be placed in a moderation queue for approval.