Author Q&A with Judith Baker whose debut novel Undercurrent was released on 28th March




The Crime Warp loves to support debut novelists so we're extremely pleased to have Judith Baker with us today.  Her debut novel Undercurrent was released on 28th March. So now we're settled down with the Jammie Dodgers and a mug of coffee we can begin.




Available on Amazon
Click here

Liz: So, Judith, to start us off can you tell us a bit about Undercurrent?

Judith: My current book is my debut novel and it is entitled Undercurrent. It focuses on a character called Phoebe who moves to a house by the river close to where she grew up. Very quickly, the past she thought she could leave behind comes back to haunt her, eventually taking over her life with devastating consequences.

Liz:  That sounds fascinating, where did the inspiration for Undercurrent come from?

Judith: Four years ago, we moved house to a place in a village in County Durham by the river. I used to sit and watch the goings on from my window, people passing through, dog walkers, ramblers, even a stag party in fancy dress! Like many writers I’m a people watcher and it got me thinking
about the things that could happen, especially at night when the sun sets and the river takes on a completely different hue. It can be pretty eerie and sinister which fitted perfectly with some of the ideas I already had rumbling around in my head. From that moment on, Undercurrent started to take form.

Liz: If Undercurrent was ever to be televised or made into a film who would you like to play your main character and why?

Judith: How fabulous would that be? And such a difficult question as there are so many fabulously talented actresses out there. Two that spring to mind are Tilda Swinton and Emily Watson. They both have such unique acting styles and expressive faces that would convey perfectly the mindset of Phoebe, the main protagonist in Undercurrent.

Liz:  Tillda Swinton has a very distinctive look so I can see where your going with that choice.  Judith, where is your favourite place to write and why?

Judith: Without a doubt, my favourite place to sit and write is in my kitchen looking out of the window. We’re fortunate enough to have an amazing view, very green and lush with the hills in the distance. It’s a vista that I will never take for granted and it never fails to inspire me!

Liz:  I know you're a newly published author  so you'll still remember what it's like to be trying for a publishing deal.Any tips for would-be writers seeking publication?

Judith: It sounds like a hackneyed phrase but never give up. Undercurrent was rejected by approximately 30 - 40 literary agents. I took umbrage at such levels of rejection and put it on a back burner and then a few months later decided to revamp it and send it out again. Five or six agencies showed considerable interest only for it to be rejected again after much deliberation. I was actually on the point of giving up when Bloodhound Books got in touch and offered me a contract. It was like a bolt out of the blue after all the rejections and took me by complete surprise. My main tip
would be to persevere. If you feel you really have a novel that tells a good story, then ignore the numerous rejections, keep re-editing and sharpening up your book and keep sending it out!

Liz: Valuable advice there, Judith.  If you weren’t a writer what would you like to do?

Judith: Well since I’m just starting out on my writing career there isn’t anything else I would like to do more! I’ve always wanted to write a novel so this is my dream job. I guess if I didn’t want to write and I had enough talent, I would like to be an artist and paint.

Liz: What is it about Crime fiction as a genre that turns you on?

Judith: You can incorporate so many different elements of everyday life into crime fiction and thrillers. I also enjoy reading and writing about the workings of the human mind and finding out what makes people tick, especially when they’re put under huge amounts of pressure. I do enjoy being scared and love how simple things such as being lost in the dark or a good old storm can add so much ambience to a story.

Liz: Who or what inspires you to keep writing?

Judith: Life inspires me to keep on writing. There are stories everywhere, waiting to be told. The most basic scenarios all have a backstory and with a little bit of imagination and a whole load of hard work, they can be shaped and formed into something that people will (hopefully) want to read.

Liz:  So I presume you're working on your next novel already Could you describe for The Crime Warp readers using only 5 words?

Judith: Jealousy, insecurity leads to murder.

Liz:  You've got me hooked.  Talking of your next project, do you linger in your research period or do you rush your research to get stuck into the writing?

Judith: I tend to do the research as I go along and always make sure I write about things I know pretty well which limits the amount of research I have to do. That said, I always seem to be on the internet looking up facts! The main focus of my novels is characters’ personalities and how they interact with each other. Going back to what I said earlier, people watching is a huge part of my research for my books and something I love doing.

Liz: Well, thanks so much for visiting The Crime Warp, Judith.  I think we'll have another cuppa before you go... and maybe another Jammie Dodger or two.

Comments