Book Review: The Runaway by Ali Harper

Amazon Link
The Runaway is the second in Ali Harper's No Stone Unturned Missing persons detective series and it's great. I loved The Disappeared (which was the first in the series), but The Runaway, in my humble opinion is even better and more so because it's based in Leeds and felt so immediate for me. So before I give you my review, here's the blurb:


A body without a name…
One night, the body of a young woman is found, naked but for a necklace, tied to a statue outside a block of luxury flats. There should be an outcry. But the police rule it a suicide, and move on A case where nothing is as it seems…Private investigators Lee and Jo, owners of No Stone Unturned detective agency in Leeds, are tasked with looking into the case. Who was the woman? Did she really kill herself? A world where danger lurks around every corner…As they investigate, Lee and Jo uncover shocking secrets. And when they see links between this case and another they are working on, they are forced to question – is any woman ever truly safe in this world? And are they risking their own lives by delving too deep?

What I Think

The main thing that draws me into these books is the characters. Harper has drawn two very different but equally likeable female protagonists. Told in the first person through Lee's point of view, Harper's writing style is almost conversational and because of this its so easy to whip through the book, which I did over two days.  I love the insights we get into Lee's character. She is vulnerable yet, when it comes down to it she demonstares a bravery and tenacity beyond even her own expectations. Jo on the other hand appears a bit less vulnerable, a bit more savvy and as such the two compliment each other beautifully. 

However, I was so chuffed to see Aunt Edith return in The Runaway. Such a brilliant character - well drawn, appealing and so delighfully humerous. Which brings me onto the second thing that really made the book for me ... the humour. It is so gently written in, but had me guffawing at intervals throughout and I think the humour is a really graceful way of balancing the dark subject matter of The Runaway

So, with the backdrop of #MeToo and Epstein and .... the list is endless, The Runaway is a timely reminder of how far we still have to go to change attitudes. By weaving together two subplots, one historic and one current, Harper really gets to the heart of how celebrity can bring immunity and it is a current and thought provoking read. 
My favourite scene has to be the Rave one in the countryside - Loved it. Loved seeing a different side to the two characters - Watch out for it - as well as being a key scene it's so full of life, fun and joy that I felt like I was in my twenties again. 

This is a definiate strong 5* read from me.  

You can buy The Runaway for only 99p Amazon Link

The First in the series :


Is available for £2.99 : Amazon Link

Comments