Kerena Swan author of Dying To See You reveals all.




     My book Dying to See You was  released on 25th April 2018.
It’s a psychological thriller based in Bedfordshire about a single mum, Sophie, who meets the wrong man. She doesn’t know Max has been watching her for some time.

         My inspiration for the book came from pondering how well we ever know anyone. I run a care agency for children and when we recruit carers we undertake formal interviews as well as Disclosure and Barring Service police checks, two references and a medical.
When I first met my husband-to-be twenty years ago it was several months before I met anyone who knew him and could verify who he was. I allowed him into my home and introduced him to my two children. Thankfully my instincts were correct and he is a warm and loving man. Sophie in my story isn’t so lucky.




Available here
       I started writing my book in January 2017 as part of a novel writing correspondence course. I finished the first draft in July then spent three months editing it before sending it to Bloodhound books in November.

 If my book were ever to be televised – and it would be an ideal plot for a TV drama – I would like my lead character to be played by Benedict Cumberbatch but he’d need his hair to be long and wavy like it was in Dr Who. He has the same penetrating gaze as Max.

         None of my characters are based on real life people although my children provide me with a wealth of material and memories which I have built into the story. I suppose there is some of me in Sophie but not much.

      
When thinking up a plot for a novel I start with one small idea, the size of a sentence then gradually add to it. With Dying to See You I thought of a twist then wrote the book around it.

       Part way through I decided I needed another character as an unreliable witness and found he took on an important role in the book. He gave me an opportunity to explore themes that affect society today and challenged people’s perceptions. Some readers said he was their favourite character.

      I don’t have a favourite place to write. As long as I’m warm and have a space next to me for my mouse and mouse mat I can use pretty much take my laptop and use any room in the house. I don’t type in the bath though! I particularly like sitting in front of a log fire.

If my writing stalls and I’m unsure what to write next I might cook the dinner, do some ironing or if I’m lucky go for a swim. I can then think about where the story is going and how the characters will react to the events. Sometimes when I go for a half hour swim I can plan the next 

three chapters in my head. I then dash home and write it down.

         I don’t follow a particular writing routine. It’s more a case of snatching time between running my own company full time and keeping a house. Sometimes a character will inspire me at five a.m. and I have to get up to write it. If I’m lucky I can have a cat-nap later to catch up on sleep.

         I think any would-be writer has to be passionate about getting published. I was determined to finish my novel then I decided to systematically send the manuscript to six agents or publishers at a time. If I didn’t get accepted within twelve months I would self-publish. I was lucky Bloodhound Books offered me a contract straight away for Dying to See You. I had two or three rejections before that but they all said my writing was strong so I knew I’d get there in the end. Now I can focus on writing, which I love, rather than sales and marketing as a self-publisher.
   
Available here
 

          I wish I’d written The Suspect and the Joe O’Loughlin series by Michael Robotham. His books are fantastically well written and I aspire to be as good as him one day.


          Many years ago I failed two of my ‘O’-Levels – Maths and English Literature. Because I passed the mock exams with no effort I didn’t bother to revise and assumed I’d be fine. I was shocked when I failed and to this day I regret not trying harder. I think it’s why I always push myself to the limit of my ability and always want to achieve 100%. Thirteen years ago I decided to start my own company providing care for children with disabilities. We now employ 100 carers and have supported about 800 families over the years. We were rated ‘Outstanding’ by the Care Quality Commission.

         I don’t know what I’d do in my spare time now if I wasn’t a writer. All my life I’ve been an avid reader and never thought I’d find something I enjoy more but writing has become my passion. Because my husband kept moaning at me for spending all my free time writing I used to sneak off to write – it felt like I was having an illicit love affair! Now that I’m being published he’s taking it a little more seriously and I can write without being nagged quite so much. Yippee!

          I Love crime fiction as a genre. After reading a thriller with twists and turns other books seem bland and uneventful. I particularly like a cliff-hanger or hook at the beginning and end of each chapter so have built this into my stories.

Available here
        Tonight I’m reading Sarah Hilary’s Someone Else’s Skin. I saw a photo of someone reading it on Facebook so looked it up. It’s very well written and 
        I’m looking forward to her next one being released.

         I don’t know what or who inspires me to keep writing. It comes from within and feels almost as important as breathing. I’m at my happiest when I’m writing.

Future Projects
 My next book is called ‘Who’s There’.

Five words to describe it would be:

Disabled victim avenges drug gang.
     I already have an idea for my third book and could easily get caught up in it but I’ve been strict with myself and shelved it until book two is finished.
  
 I did quite a lot of research before I started book two. I attended a course, watched documentaries, read articles and trawled the internet and spoke to professionals and people involved in drugs. I also constantly check facts as I write. For my first book I utilised all the varied skills and knowledge of friends and acquaintances – a fireman, police woman, electrician and even a funeral director! I also used my own experiences as a social worker and care organiser.




Comments