Book Review: Rob Ashman's astounding Mechanic Trilogy - a serial killer with a difference, an attitude and a skill set you'll die for


When I started the first in Rob Ashman's Mechanic series (Those That Remain), I didn't realise that I'd be tied up for the foreseeable future.   Now I'm not into S&M but I have to admit that being tied up with the Mechanic was a wholly enjoyable , if nerve racking experience ... one that I repeated  soon after with In Your Name and then again with Pay The Penance. The only thing left to ask now is... what am I supposed to do now I've finished this fantastic trilogy.  the answer's easy really ... I'll write a review ... or three!  Read on for my views on these great reads.

Those That Remain by Rob Ashman 
Available on Amazon
Click here



In Those That Remain we are introduced to the serial killer dubbed Mechanic and detectives Lucas and Bassano. Whilst Mechanic is dark brooding and sadistic, Lucas is heartwarming, humorous and down to earth which is the perfect foil to his partner Bassano's dapper, Jack the lad image.  For me, I was drawn into the book straight from Chapter one which starts in the present day (1985) and then flashes back to the events leading up to that day and skillfully leaves us gagging for number two in the series.  Ashman has a light touch with laugh out loud moments woven in seamlessly.  It was a no brainer to pick up No 2 in the series straight away.  Five stars from me!

Available On Amazon
Click here
In Your Name by Rob Ashman
It may seem a tad strange for me to say that things take a much darker turn in In Your Name, bearing in mind we're talking about a sadistic serial killer.  However, I'm delighted to tell you they do ... a decidedly darker turn and I bloody loved it.  If things were personal before, then in In Your Name the stakes are raised and Mechanic is out for revenge. Meanwhile Lucas, Bassano and Harper are joined by a new sidekick called Moran.  In your Name is as dark as Those That Remain but it retains the humour, the pace and the humanity.  Loved it , loved it loved it! ... oh, did i tell you I loved it?

Pay The Penance by Rob Ashman
The only thing unsatisfying about finishing Pay The Penance
Available on Amazon
Click here
was knowing that I'd finished the series!  Without giving anything away, all i can really say is that I'm now a NO 1 Rob Ashman fan.  Pay The Penance ticked all the boxes for me.  mechanic faced a few altercations which had my heart pounding and evoked feelings I didn't expect.  Again a well paced, enjoyable read.





Comments