Book Review: I See You by Clare Mackintosh


The Blurb

When Zoe Walker sees her photo in the classifieds section of a London newspaper, she is determined to find out why it's there. There's no explanation: just a grainy image, a website address and a phone number. She takes it home to her family, who are convinced it's just someone who looks like Zoe. But the next day the advert shows a photo of a different woman, and another the day after that.
Is it a mistake? A coincidence? Or is someone keeping track of every move they make . . .

I See You is an edge-of-your-seat, page-turning psychological thriller from one of the most exciting and successful British debut talents of 2015

My Review




I had eagerly awaited  this novel and was delighted when the publishers Little, Brown, asked me if I would like an advanced reader's copy.

I didn't know what to expect, Clare Mackintosh's first book  I Let You Go was so good that I wondered how she was going to top it. I was more than pleasantly surprised, I See You is different, it seemed, (to me), to be as much a police procedural, as a psychological thriller, and that pleased me enormously as I love police procedurals. It is just as good, if not better than I Let You Go, and shows what a versatile writer Clare is. 

Zoe Walker is sitting on the tube on her way to work, when she spots a picture of herself in the classified section of a local paper. That in itself would alarm most of us, but it is the type of ad that is most disturbing. Who placed the ad? and where did they get her picture? The more she thinks about it, the more paranoid Zoe gets. I don’t want to give any of the plot away, so I'm not going to say any more about the story, other than it just gets better and better.


The tension builds from the minute Zoe gets on the tube, and it doesn't let up. I was gripped by the story. It is one of those books that once you start it, you have to keep reading.


The events in this book are so utterly believable. I was left wondering what I would do if it happened to me, and that's the scary part, it could!

As I've come to expect of Clare, the characters are very well drawn out. I think I suspected all of them at one stage or another. Yes, it really is that kind of book, I was completely wrong footed from the get go. 

After the wonderful twist in I Let You Go, I was expecting a huge twist in this one. This was probably a little more subtle, but I still never expected it.


Clare has just won the Theakston's Old Peculiar crime novel of the year award for I Let You Go, I think she will definitely be in the running next year for I See You.

I thoroughly recommend this book.



If you would like to purchase a copy Click here

Comments