This Little Piggy by Bea Davenport


This book transported me right back to the 1980's. Set in 1984 amidst the miners’ strike, a baby dies in suspicious circumstances on the notorious Sweetmeadows Estate. Journalist Clare Jackson is on hand to cover the story. Hostilities are running high on the Estate, due partly to the police handling of the strike, but also their botched inquiries into the child’s death, and she finds herself becoming more and more involved with the local residents, especially Amy, a young girl neglected by her mother. Clare is eager to prove to her boss that she should be chief reporter, so she sets out to find out the truth behind the death of the child unaware that she is putting her own life in danger...
Bea Davenport brilliantly captures the pressures of the miners’ strike, and the brutal reality of living through it. She has paid real attention to the details of that era, and I really felt that I had been transported back to a time before computers and mobile phones, a time when the Walkman was the latest technology, and Britain was in the grips of political unrest.
As Clare became closer to the residents on the Estate I began to get a real sense of the deprivation and poverty they were coping with, and could almost feel the tension building up. Clare herself is very likeable protagonist and I warmed to her immediately. I really loved her ability to make a story out of almost any incident, which added far more depth to her character, it also gave me an insight of how a journalist works.  I also liked the way her back story was trickled in throughout the book, and added another layer of mystery to an already engaging tale.
The suspense builds up throughout the book as Clare battles with the police, her boss and her own internal demons to discover the truth.
This is an excellent book and I liked it immensely. All in all a very enjoyable read. I thoroughly recommend it!
This book is published on 1st October. You can purchase it from:
I wish to thank Legend Press and Netgalley for my copy in return for an honest unbiased review of this novel

Comments