Author Interview: A.M. Peacock, author of the DCI Jack Lambert series.


Author A.M. Peacock has a busy time ahead of him for the next few weeks. With his second DCI Jack Lambert crime novel just released, he's now embarking on a series of book signings throughout the North of England. So, I'm doubly glad he's managed to squeeze in a wee jaunt to The Crime Warp - (and he brought biscuits - Hob Nobs - Chocolate Hob Nobs, so he can come again.) A very big welcome to Adam Peacock with whom I've had the very great pleasure of dancing to Proud Mary with. (Bet he wishes I'd kept that one a secret too) 





Tell us a bit about your current book release.
This book is the second in the DCI Jack Lambert series, although it can be read as a standalone. Whereas the first novel involved a serial killer, and multiple plot threads, this one essentially flows from an initial murder, whereby a young, petty criminal is found tortured in a farmer’s field. What at first seems like a straightforward case for Jack and the team becomes anything but. As the story develops, Jack finds himself falling deeper into the operations of the North East’s criminal underworld, something he has spent years running away from.
I really enjoyed writing this novel and it was fantastic to be able to take the characters I had created and throw them into a new scenario.




If your Jack Lambert series was ever to be televised or made into a film who would you like to play your main character and why?
The actor, Luke Evans, would be a great shout for DCI Jack Lambert. He is the right height, age, build, has a rugged look about him and he’s gay. I think he would be a perfect fit for the character.






Could you describe how the germ of an idea develops into a full-blown novel?
As a pantser, I do not plan out my writing. And, so, my work always begins with an initial scene which flashes into my head. From there, I simply write the story without overthinking it. Much like Lee Child in how he works, I do not know the ending until I more or less arrive there. This means that I am often surprised by what I come up with and it is exciting to work through a draft, never quite knowing how it will all turn out. With Grave Intent, I had an image in my head of a man running through a field, at night, past a number of creepy-looking scarecrows. In this scene, we don’t know who he is, why he is there, or who is chasing him. And, so, chapter one was born. Everything else in the novel simply stemmed from this initial action.


Do you ever suffer from writer’s block and if so how do you overcome it?
In a sense, yes. Although I do think that, like with most things, it’s about habit. When I am out of the habit of writing, I will say I have writers’ block! The best way I have found to overcome it is to attend a writing group whereby you, and others, are given a block of time to come up with something. I find I work best with a bit of pressure applied and so this works wonders for me. If I can spend an hour getting something down, I can then take it from there the next day. I also think it’s useful to do a loose edit of whatever you wrote the previous day, or whenever you last put words on the screen. That way, you are in a ‘writing zone’ and can simply follow on straight from where you left off.

Is there a particular book you wish you’d written and why?
Lots! I’ll try and pick three for the purpose of this, though…
George Orwell’s 1984 because who wouldn’t? I love dystopian fiction and nobody does it better than Orwell. I find the society created in this book to be harrowing and I can’t help but wish I had invented it!
I recently read Martina Cole’s Dangerous Lady and could not believe the quality of it, especially considering it was her debut book. It was simply fantastic and I loved how the characters developed as the novel went on. I’m a big fan of the Peaky Blinders TV show and I feel that this novel has that kind of vibe to it.
Anything by Jo Nesbo as Harry Hole is an absolute hero!

Can you tell us two things about yourself that your readership may be unaware of?
I played in bands in school and college, as a singer and guitarist. We covered all kinds of things ranging from pop punk to classic rock. I’m still waiting for the Fun Loving Crime Writers to ask me to join the group!

I cannot stand cucumber.


If you weren’t a writer what would you like to do?
My ‘day job’ is already what I want to do in terms of regular work. I love being a trade union
official and I feel like what I do makes a positive difference in the world.
I suppose, creatively, it would be music. Now that I write I simply don’t have the time to dedicate to this in the same way.
The fantasy job would be to be a tennis player, preferably Roger Federer. I know being Roger Federer isn’t a real job but I’d give it a good shot (pardon the pun).



Who are your writing heroes and why?
Stephen King because nobody does horror quite like he does; Lee Child because I think we secretly all want to be Jack Reacher; Martina Cole because she is a simply amazing writer; Jo Nesbo because I love Scandinavian noir and I’m always rooting for Harry!


Could you describe the book you are working on at the moment using only 5 words?
The next Jack Lambert book…

Do you have competing ideas for future projects and have you ever worked on more than one at the same time?
I do have competing ideas as I am currently torn between writing more DCI Jack Lambert, starting a new crime series/standalone, and wanting to write some kind of epic dystopian vampire novel (I kid you not). Decisions, decisions…


Comments