Bloodmoon by Peter Tremayne, guest review



Right up front I will admit my guilt and offer a full and frank confession – I am a history buff. There you go, not only am I a history buff – I also like to buff up on crime. And when history meets crime, well then ladies and gentlemen, that is what I call bliss.
I had the great good fortune to come across ´Bloodmoon´ a historical mystery set in AD 671 written by Peter Tremayne. I loved the premise of Bloodmoon – Fidelma, a feisty Celtic noblewoman chasing down a dastardly crime in very early Christian Ireland, helped by her fusty East-Angles (not Saxon!) husband Eadulf and torque wearing and (at least in my mind) dishy Irish warrior Enda. 

And if you thought that that this clever female crime-solver, lawyer and religious leader is an unlikely heroine for this period of history, think again. Peter Tremayne scores full marks for giving Celtic women their moment in history and illuminating not only a well crafted crime, but also shedding light on the indpendence and leadership that Celtic women in Ireland and the British Isles had during this period. 

If you want to travel through the mists of history  to solve crime with heroines and heros I can think of no better way than to do this than guided through the pen of Peter Tremayne, aka Peter Berresford Ellis, the author of historical texts including ´Celtic Women´ and ´The Druids´ (both copies copiously read and ´post-it noted´ by me  for Celtic history research purposes. And if I had known that his historic expertise had been availble in crime fiction earlier, my studies would have certainly been even more intensive!

Be transported to a time and a place that is mysterious and different, but where the motivations and deeds of men and women are strikingly familiar to us today. I highly recommend this engrossing crime book, immerse yourself in the seventh century and come back wiser from your literary journey.

Published by Headline in July 2018
Reviewed by Sylvia Campbell


Comments