Book review - Home by Harlan Coben. My first Myron Bolitar book - just one problem - I simply have to read the other ten now!



I’m a latecomer to Harlan Coben and was impressed by his novel Fool Me Once, which I previously reviewed on The Crime Warp (http://thecrimewarp.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/look-out-for-these-aprils-selection-of.html).  When I saw there was a new Harlan Coben novel coming out, I thought it would be worth a go.  So, the story – Patrick Moore and Rhys Baldwin were kidnapped from their home ten years ago and disappeared.  Nothing has been heard of them since until an anonymous tip leads Myron Bolitar’s close friend Win (Windsor Horne Lockwood III no less!) to London.  Win and Myron rescue Patrick Moore but Rhys Baldwin is nowhere to be found.  


Back in the US, Win and Myron become suspicious that the boy who says he is Patrick may be an impostor and as Myron digs into the original kidnapping, he becomes more uneasy about the circumstances of what really happened to Patrick and Rhys.  The relationship between the boy’s parents adds another layer of mystery to the story, and the way Patrick’s parents are hiding the boy away from Rhys’ parents convinces people that something is being covered up.  Myron’s nephew Mickey, Ema his girlfriend and their techie nerd friend Spoon help give Myron and Win the key evidence that unlocks the mystery, leading to a shocking crescendo.


How did I get on with Home?  Well...it arrived one day when I was working at home and after opening the envelope, I decided to have a quick look, as I often do when a new book arrives.  Twenty pages later, I had to put the book down and go back to work.  I used every spare scrap of time that day to read more and after getting to my hotel that evening, I stayed up until I’d finished the book.  


The novel was genuinely engaging and had that page turning quality where you just had to know what happens next.  I liked the characters, who I felt sometimes had that slightly tongue in cheek quality, which actually made them all the more appealing to me.  The story itself was excellent – a simple premise - what did happen to the two boys ten years ago and is Patrick the real thing?  There’s a good mix of sleuthing, sparky personal interaction between the characters and of course occasional bouts of extreme violence to get your pulse racing and make you go “ooooh!” every now and then.  

If like me you listen to lots of audiobooks, never fear, Home is available on Audible and its not abridged.  This means you get the full benefit of characters, plot and action, which doesn't always come across in abridged audiobooks. The narrator Steve Webber is top notch, delivering a pacey narrative that more than matches the excitement of the printed version.
  
Having said all of that, after reading Home, I now have a real dilemma – how long will it take me to read the other ten Myron Bolitar books?


Final verdict: A genuine cracker, which I thoroughly recommend.  

Romancrimeblogger

Comments