A Dark and Twisted Tide by Sharon Bolton (featuring the enigmatic Lacey Flint and The River Thames)





A Dark and Twisted Tide by Sharon Bolton (featuring the enigmatic Lacey Flint and The River Thames)

Sharon Bolton was shortlisted for the CWA Gold Dagger, the CWA in the Library and longlisted for the Theakston’s Old Peculier Prize for Crime fiction – not a bad 2014 for her.

This is the second Lacey Flint novel I’ve read and I have to admit I’m intrigued by her character… well, who wouldn't be?  She’s a police officer with a past, yet her best friend is a serial killer residing in Durham prison and the only person whose advice she accepts.  I know she has hidden secrets but I just can’t fathom her out - mind you, not revealing any important plot clues,  but we do get some hints in this book.

Deptford Creek
In a Dark and Twisted Tide, Lacey lives on a yacht in the Deptford Creek and has taken to Wild Swimming along the Thames with her neighbour.  On one of her swims Lacey discovers the body of a woman shrouded in white and soon realises the serial killer targeting illegal immigrants (I’m not referring to the Chinese Mitten crabs that live in the Thames) and that she is the focus of a strange stalker who deposits crabs on her boat.

Wild Swimming in the River Thames
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and soon felt that the River Thames itself became the key character in the story – Its’ tides reveal or hide channels and creeks along the length of the River, it’s movement hides many bad things and floats good things and it hosts a range of craft with different aims and emotions, it kills, it rescues, it is complex and never to be trusted.

Bolton took me on a cruise along the Thames, leaving a range of clues and of course a few Red Herrings along the way.  Definitely, enjoyable with a range of arresting characters and now I’m going to have to find time to go back and catch up on the Lacey Flint books I’ve missed.  Really thoroughly enjoyed this book

Comments