Book Review: This Dark Road to Mercy by Wiley Cash - a taught, dark story of redemption that drew me in from the first page



I missed Wiley Cash’s first book (A land more kind than home), not realising that Cash had won the Crime Writer’s Association New Blood Dagger award for best first novel in 2012.  I wasn’t quite sure this second novel would be a book for me, as I prefer novels with plenty of zip to them and this didn’t seem to be that kind of book.  I didn’t even get to the end of the first page before I realised that I was completely captivated.

The novel is told from three alternative voices – Easter Quillby, Bobby Pruitt and Brady Weller.  Easter and her sister Ruby, are in a children’s home waiting to be adopted.  Their mother has recently died of a drug overdose and their father Wade left them years ago, nowhere to be found.  Wade appears one day at an after school ball game, anxious to be back in their lives, even though he signed away his parental rights many years ago when he left them. Soon after, Wade appears late at night telling the girls they are in danger and need to escape with him.  

The story follows Wade, Easter and Ruby as they hop from place to place, alternating between three viewpoints.  Easter’s view is that of a canny child, anxious to protect her sister and not to let Wade their loser father get to close to them; Pruitt’s as he tracks them down to exact revenge on Wade for a past wrong; Weller’s, the ex cop, who is atoning for his past mistakes in his new role of guardian for Easter and other children with no adult family to speak for them.

Cash’s characterisation is superb.  He creates such a realistic “voice” for the characters that draws you into the story instantly, particularly Easter’s point of view.  Two scenes stick particularly in my mind – the first when Wade challenges a local youth at the fair and Easter understands why Wade is opening himself up to ridicule.  The second when Wade leaves his family home covered in blood.  Easter doesn’t really understand what’s happening but tries to answer Ruby’s questions as her sister also tries to work out why Wade has blood on his hands and what it means.

I particularly liked the way that Wade and his actions are the “engine” of the novel, although you never see the story develop from Wade’s point of view, but through the eyes of the three characters.  There seems to be no reason why wayward Wade has suddenly decided to want to be part of his daughter’s lives and as the novel progresses, you find out why Wade is on the run, but still wonder how genuine his motivation is.

Overall, I’d thoroughly recommend this book.  A tight, compact plot, real depth of characterisation expressed in writing which quickly drew me in and kept me on the page throughout.  If I had been able to put the time aside, I would have read this book in one sitting.

Romancrimeblogger

Comments