Book Review CLOSE TO THE BONE by Stuart MacBride

Close to the Bone by Stuart MacBride

            I am a huge Stuart McBride fan and was really chuffed to be given a proof copy of Close to the Bone to preview. 

            Close to the Bone is the sequel to Shatter the Bones which, if you remember, left McRae’s girlfriend Sam barely clinging to life and DS Logan McCrae barely clinging to his sanity.  Now two years have passed and McCrae has been promoted to acting DI with the wonderful Roberta Steel acting DCI.
            Whilst being hounded by Steele to pacify the parents of a missing teenage couple, McCrae finds himself at a crime scene involving the burning of a body by necklacing.  Meanwhile some Chinese men are being knee knobbled, but refuse to cooperate with the police despite their injuries.  Soon links are made to other ritualistic style deaths , to the small bones being left at McCrae’s caravan door and to a local film set currently filming a Witchhunt film.

   As usual, the storyline is well thought out and pacy and in this novel MacBride uses a lovely technique to demonstrate McCrae’s emotional state.  I found this extremely poignant and I’m not ashamed to say I shed a wee tear over this.  For me MacBrides work excels because of his excellent characterisation.  As always McCrae’s relationship with Steel is a joy to behold, but I detect a slight change in their relationship over the past two years.  Whilst Steele is her usual larger than life irrepressibly inappropriate self, McCrae’s experiences have made him less wary of her seniority and he frequently tells her to ‘bugger off’.  He also influences her behaviour to DS Rennie.  Much to his dismay Steel, taking McCraes advice and mangling it, forces the poor man to ‘relax’ in a chair whilst she mauls his shoulders in a supposedly  relaxing manner.


            I strongly recommend this book.  It flows, it has poignancy, it has violence, blood and gore, but above all it has excellent characters and amazing humour.  Just a wee tip – Look out for Steels (wonderfully typical Steelishness) sensitive gift to McRae- It had me laughing on and off for days.  In fact as I’m writing this I can feel a giggle coming on.
By the way when the McCrae series is televised, I am playing Roberta Steel- I can do it- I practice regularly at bus stops, in cafes and in libraries. (well the few that haven’t banned me yet for indecent behaviour that is) Bet Helen Mirren wouldn't have such dedication to the role!

My advice – Go out and buy this book- you’ll love it- It’s Tartan Noir at it’s best!!!

Comments

  1. Will there be another book following on from this one. Loved the book but thot it had a strange ending leaving us guessing is there more on Logan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I think Stuart is working on a follow up to Birthdays For The Dead (which is well worth reading) - it should be due out soon it I thinki and then I think there will be a follow up to the Logan Maccrae series. Glad you enjoyed Close to the Bone, Liz

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will now be placed in a moderation queue for approval.