The Calling (A Luther Story) by Neil Cross,
           
            How many times have we moaned about a director’s choice of actor for a much loved detective when the novel is televised? 
I mean, who rattles your Rebus boat - Ken Stott or John Hannah?  Is Tom Cruise really your idea of Jack Reacher? 
Well in reading The Calling by Neil Cross, I was faced by the opposite dilemma.  Would Neil be able to portray accurately in words the charismatic, sexy, troubled hero played by Idris Elba in the TV series Luther. (and yes I am a little bit in love with him- but then who isn’t?)  

            Unusually, this novel tells the backstory to the TV crime series Luther and was written after the first two Luther series were televised.  It is written by the screenwriter and author Neil Cross.  Having watched the Luther series I knew the ending of this novel before I started but not the twists and turns as the TV series takes up more or less where the novel finishes.

Initially, I was unsettled by the use of the present tense, but soon found it lent immediacy to the action.  I felt I was personally carried along with the story by Cross’ pithy dialogue and his close adherence to the characterisation of the series.  The Luther I read about was clearly the same Luther from my TV screen. His charisma leapt from the page, as did his troubled , driven passion to solve the crime.  His relationship with his wife Zoe was carefully woven into the plot showing his vulnerability as well as his strength.

Cross’ beautifully constructed descriptive skills, on occasion, were quite poetic.  I found this particularly poignant when he offers an insight to Luther’s empathetic thoughts about miscarriage and abortion ‘…allowing itself to be carried downstream by time; a bundle of cells. A tumbling ball of life…’  His empathy is then explained by a subtle reference to a discarded positive pregnancy test, found but never discussed by him and his wife.

This novel, apart from a good plot, believable characters and excellent dialogue, gave me a closer insight into the characters’ relationships and interactions.  In many ways it illustrates more clearly the motivation behind certain character’s actions, especially in the case of Luther and Zoe.
If you enjoyed the series I am sure you will not be disappointed with the book.

Liz Mistry

Comments