Diary of an Aspiring Writer
Writer’s Block - The Day from Hell  by Liz Mistry
                There was nothing to indicate that this was going to be one of those days.  I hadn’t broken any mirrors, walked under any ladders and the only magpies I saw were in pairs.  There was just no conceivable reason for it.  It all started last night...
                Wearing toasty jim jams (of the Wee Willie Winkie variety), mug of Horlicks in one hand, candle in the other and calming, sleep inducing serial killer novel under arm, I ascended the stairs to bed.  Yawning vociferously I managed a chapter of the novel (told you it had a calming effect) and mug drained, I liberally skooshed my relaxing lavender pillow spray, blew out the candle and closed my eyes.  That’s when it happened...
                Rather than a nice relaxing sleep I spent the night creating spanking dialogues between my two main characters, sorting out that problem with the ending which wasn’t quite as believable as I’d hoped and planning the next three books in the series from beginning to end.  I was on a roll of stupendous magnificence and could hardly wait to get rid of the kids and partner the next morning.
                House silent, bar the contented mewing of the cats in front of the fire, I plonked myself down, booted up and angled my fingers over the keyboard... Then... NOTHING!- not a damn slither of inspiration passed through my mind, not an iota of dialogue, the ending was as crap as ever.
                I gazed at the blank screen finding it curiously mesmerising.  Three hours later I woke up with the alphabet imprinted on my right cheek, stiff shoulders, aching back and.... Still NOTHING!

Comments