Agatha Raisin: Hiss & Hers by M.C. Beaton


Is this cosy crime? I’m not sure.  All I know is that I found it a refreshing change from my usual Tartan Noir, psychological thriller, and serial killer choices. 
In Agatha Raisin, M. C Beaton has created a fantastically humorous, selfish, vulnerable, and thoroughly loveable character, who is all too interested in the wrong man.  I mean, who could dislike a Femme Fatale who needs a hip replacement?  A detective with few real detecting skills? And a woman with a heart of gold? (as long as you don’t get between her and her man).
Alongside Agatha, Beaton has created her own little St Mary’s Mead with the vicar’s wife, the country laird, the retired bachelor, the far too sexual but likeable none the less single mum and the village pub, and in each character she has created a distinctive personality that makes you feel you know them personally.
I’ve got this far and I’ve not even mentioned the story yet – well, never mind you’ll just have to pick up a copy and read it for yourself, but don’t be surprised to find yourself laughing aloud on the train to work, at the bus stop, in the doctor’s surgery or in the library.  I really recommend this light hearted murder mystery as a proper stress buster, so go on buy a copy NOW!
Also, the next Agatha Raisin:  Agatha Raisin and the Christmas Crumble novel is due out on Dec 6th 2012
Here’s to Agatha Raisin, the new Queen of the crime thriller!

Comments