Character is Destiny Quiz


Patricia Highsmith
     Who said the following?

1.       ‘...if I try to describe a real person’s idiosyncrasies and make a fictional character act the way that a real person would, everything becomes wooden.’

2.       ‘I want to emphasize that a character can have enormous conflicts and contradictions – but then these have to be consistent.’

3.       ‘...readers want to read about people, individuals they can believe in, and preferably like a little.’

4.       ‘... man is, on the whole, less good than he imagines himself or wants to be. Everyone carries a shadow, and the less it is embodied in the individual’s conscious life, the blacker and denser it is.’

5.       ‘I am quite sure I am not a great novelist because I’ve only got down onto paper really three types of people. The person who I think I am, the people who irritate me, and the people I’d like to be.’


a.       Patricia Highsmith      b. Carl Jung         c. Sara Paretsky     d. Ayn Rand    e. E. M. Forster


Solution: 1.c., 2.d., 3.a, 4.b., 5.e. (The quotes were taken from: Your Creative Writing Masterclass, Jurgen Wolff, 2012.)

 ...let me know how you got on, Indiana Brown

 

 

Comments