Topical Debate: Some thoughts on the creative process


Some thoughts on the creative process: 


A good book, in whatever genre, is a totality, in that it hangs together, it makes sense, all components fit. By all components I mean style, the characters, the plot, the setting, the word count, etc. we usually focus on individual elements, working hard on these, however, the work has to hold together, like a complete outfit in fashion, or a painting, if you like art.

I now think that the best way to achieve that cohesion is to imagine the whole book before you type even one word. Not in detail of course, we change things all the time, but an impression, a taste, an image; the mood, the feel of the book. If we spent more time thinking about the book before we even started with the outline or the chapter plan, would it all flow more easily? Would we naturally produce the best style for the task, draw the characters in the appropriate way, describe the setting so that it becomes an integral part of the story without overwhelming the whole picture?I’m not even talking about fleshing out the story line either, but a more general feeling of how the book talks to us, the impression it leaves us with. Does this make sense?


I know people talk about a book being story led or character led, but I mean even before we get to that. I suppose the fashion analogy comes easiest. If we were to create an outfit, we’d think about purpose, event, what others might be wearing, cost, all sorts. But between the lines I reckon we’d be thinking about the kind of impression we’d be hoping to make: elegant, sexy, relaxed, sporty, chic, …. and we’d probably realize that we have a natural style that suits us, that reflects best who we are. Is it the same with writing? Crime is a genre that helps focus our efforts by giving us a structure and boundaries,  but there is still some leeway. Does the atmosphere of a book have to be accidental, does it develop by itself or does it go into the planning process? Should the ‘taste’ of a book come first? Or does it happen in the process of writing? Are we really influenced by other authors or do we just happen to share the same personality type, the same way of looking at the world? Is that what should take the lead in the creative process? A clearer idea of how we see the world and whether we want to recreate that vision in our writing? (Indiana Brown)




Comments

  1. I think this is very true. I think that experienced authors probably see their book in their minds-eye like a film before they start writing. They see their characters living and interacting with their environment. As you say the plot does not have to be perfectly plotted, but a feeling of the film (book), especially for the visuals. What do they look like? What are they wearing? What kind of environment are they living in? And how would they react to situations presented by their environments. I think all that can be gestated in the mind before the writing process takes place. They say it takes years to write a book, maybe what is meant is that it takes years to think about a book, to dream about a book.

    In terms of your genre, your ´fashion´ yes, as a writer I`m sure that you have to find yourself, be true to that self once it is found. I believe that once you have discovered your true self and stick with it the style will flow – a bit like my Mom with her poetry. She did not try to imitate anyone else, but tapped into some energy. I think that could be true for all writers if we have the integrity and self-confidence to be true to ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I'm actually able to feel creative, and for me its a visual thing, a piece of artwork, its an overwhelming and somewhat obsessive process. When the creative drive is strongest its difficult to focus on anything else, to deal with the stuff of everyday life; even to remember to stop for a drink now and then.
    For me I do get a clear picture, a sense of how I want the work to be, it will be an overall impression, a broad brush
    affair with little detail, but surprisingly vivid. I find I need to live with the concept for a while; mull it over subconsciously, not focus too much but let it swirl around the backwaters of my brain until something emerges. I've come to the realisation that you can't rush this process; it takes time and shouldn't be forced or hurried in any way.
    Having a clear head is crucial; if I'm worrying about something or someone, very tired or very stressed, it just doesn't work....however it is also a matter of discipline, I think you need to do everything you can to help the process, and that can include a kind of routine, making a comfortable space to work, and allowing yourself time to make a complete hash of things. There are loads of conflicting pressures, and masses of self-doubt, but I agree totally with the previous comment in that being true to yourself is the only way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the process of story genesis is as individual and varied as the stories themselves. To use the outfit analogy – if we pick a genre before we start, that does lend some structure from the beginning. Crime: should have pace, plot and a crime/puzzle. Romance: should have a happy ending. Beyond that, some people have started with an image (a view or picture), music, smell, sound (I bet Wuthering Heights started this way, with the scratching of twigs against a window), dream, memory, archetype etc. Some people will launch into the story and trust to it unfolding as they go, others plan minutely, and again, there’s no right or wrong. Some people write short stories by using a random word generator and seeing what sparks of creativity work to pull the random words into a whole – and it works well. If I thought too much about a story at the beginning I’d get bored with it, so I have to limit the thinking in the beginning, and see what turns up as I write

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will now be placed in a moderation queue for approval.