My Life of Crime: by Malcolm Hollingdrake Author of the DCI Cyril Bennett, Harrogate Crime Series


I am loving this My Life of Crime Series. You just never know what you're going to get and today is no different as I welcome the debonair Malccolm Hollingdrake to the blog. 
Malcolm  writes a crime series set in Harrogate built around two main characters, DCI Cyril Bennett and DS David Owen. The latest book, ‘The Third Breath’, is book seven. He is currently working on the next in the series with a working title of ‘Treble Clef’.

Malcolm now has a website and all the links to the books are available there. Links also on the site for the available audiobooks now available.


So over to you now, Malcolm. 





Two books that influenced and explain why:

This has to be the hardest question for me as I simply don’t read. Strictly speaking that’s not true as I read certain things but I have never had a reading habit. I will read biographies and the occasional book and a daily newspaper. So what have I decided?

I must admit to enjoying, ‘The Sett’ by Ranulph Fiennes. Fiennes, as a character, fascinates me. If a man has filled his life with adventure and challenge then he has. I heard him speak about his adventures on Everest and was truly captivated. He’s a man who deserves respect. In my opinion he’s also a great storyteller.

The second book must be, ‘The Shepherd’ by Frederick Forsyth. I have a number of copies mainly because of the quality of illustrations. Yes, I read the pictures too! Each edition is illustrated by a different artist. It’s a simple and yet subtle story. I learned to fly in the early eighties and so I have an affinity with aircraft; the Mosquito being my all time favourite.



Two Songs that influenced you and explain why:

The first must be ‘Witch Queen of New Orleans’ by Redbone. It was the first song I danced to with my wife Debbie in 1971. We have danced to it many, many times since. It was a precious and a life changing moment.



If I may have a whole piece of music I would like Gorecki Symphony number 3. I love this and discovered it when writing ‘The Third Breath’. Normally I cannot write to music, it distracts but this seemed to inspire and draw the words from me. I was so taken I used it within the story.  It’s a humbling piece inspired by some writing on a Gestapo prison wall scratched there by an adolescent girl who would eventually be murdered but who showed great fortitude and spirit. It’s a moving piece. I love a You Tube clip showing the composer listening to the performance in the audience. It is simply breathtaking.



Two Films/TV Dramas, documentaries or similar that influenced you and explain why:


Like DCI Bennett I don’t have a TV so I feel a little lost with TV dramas. But films…’Field of Dreams’ – pure belief and support by loved ones for another’s dream, what families are all about. As any author will tell you, we have a dream and the journey can be long and fruitless but we keep going with the love and support of the family.



‘Saving Private Ryan’ I think it was the first film that gave me a true impression of what my father faced when he, like many others crossed into Europe. He fought his way through the Battle of the Bulge with the 53 Welsh Division.




Two People (famous or not, fictional or real- it’s entirely up to you) that influenced you and explain why:

My wife has always been there but I will pick two more.

Dr Noel Godfrey Chavasse VC and Bar, MC.
Died 4th August 1917. If you have never heard of this man I request you take a moment and read a little. If you could always start your day with the strength, bravery, selflessness and kindness to your fellow man like his example then society might just be better for it. I think about him often.



Theodore Major, artist.
Factories at Wigan
Here was a Wigan man who sacrificed a great deal for his artistic belief. He rarely sold his paintings during his lifetime, storing them in a separate house next door. It is believed by many that if he had painted for the market then his work would be as valuable as that of his contemporary, Lowry. He believed art was for all both the rich and the poor and by selling work he would deny the working class the opportunity to see great works of art. I believe this to be a naïve and yet brave stance by an honest man, a man with a strong conviction and a real belief in what he perceived to be right and wrong. To stand alone for one’s beliefs against strong, contemporary opposition, is in my eyes, admirable. I take my flat cap off to him.

It is so difficult and if you were to ask me the same question tomorrow I may add two more.


Available here
Blurb
Looking for a fast-paced crime thriller from a best-selling author? Then discover DCI Bennett today.
DCI Bennett is away on compassionate leave. After much soul-searching, he has decided to attend his father’s funeral.
DS Owen is left at the helm when the discovery of a body in a car in the multi-storey car park is reported. Initially, the Coroner rules out suspicious circumstances but when a second body is found with similar symptoms, Bennett is back in the fold. He suspects that the coincidences must be of some significance.
Soon Bennett’s team are hunting for a callous and devious killer who has covered his tracks effectively.
Will Bennett’s perseverance and attention to detail eventually crack this perplexing case?

Comments