My Life of Crime by A. M. Peacock (Adam) Find out what his literary, cinematic, musical influences are and more!


Author bio
A.M. Peacock grew up in the North East of England before leaving to study for a degree in music technology at the University of Hull. A subsequent return to his hometown of South Shields saw him spend seven years as a teacher in a local college before changing careers to become a trade union official. 

Having always been an avid reader, he took to writing after being encouraged to do so by his PGCE tutor. He has since gone on to produce a number of short stories, winning the Writers’ Forum Magazine competition on two occasions, as well as producing articles for both the local press and a university magazine. 

A.M. Peacock is passionate about crime fiction and his debut novel, Open Grave, is the first in what he hopes will become a series of DCI Jack Lambert books.

Away from writing, A.M. Peacock enjoys watching films, playing guitar and can often be found pavement pounding in preparation for the odd half marathon. 
Social Media contact details: Facebook and Twitter: @ampeacockwriter
Website: www.ampeacock.co.uk

Two books that influenced Adam:

1984 by George Orwell:

Alongside my writing, I also work as a trade union official. With that in mind, I am quite politically-minded so reading this particular book really blew me away. I have a soft spot for anything dystopian, and I hope to one day write a dystopian novel myself. The world that Orwell creates is both vivid and harrowing. It’s a book I often think about and I believe that is the sign of a great read. The fact that parallels can be drawn between the world Orwell imagined and the one we now live is, quite frankly, the stuff of nightmares.



 The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo:

I am a huge fan of Jo Nesbo and reading his Harry Hole series is what made me want to get into crime writing. In many ways, Harry is a typical detective—depressive, a big drinker, and a loner. However, I find myself fascinated by the man Nesbo has created and I am invested in the ups and downs of his life throughout the series. The atmosphere Nesbo creates in his books is also fantastic, with Scandinavia providing a great setting for this. Please note: these books aren’t for the faint-hearted, Jo Nesbo has a rather sadistic imagination when it comes to killers!   




Two Songs that influenced Adam:

Time of your Life by Green Day:

I used to play in a band when I was younger and this was one of the first songs I learned to play on the guitar. It’s such a powerful, understated tune, something unusual for a band more known for their distorted guitar riffs. It reminds me of being in school, a more carefree time in life, and is also the song I played when I won a talent competition whilst on a Haven Holiday when I was fifteen!



Waltz #2 by Elliott Smith

Another acoustic track! Although a big fan of rock music, I do love a melancholy tune. I’m a fan of most of Elliott Smith’s stuff but this particular track really stands out to me. The line: ‘I’m never gonna know you now but I’m gonna love you anyhow,’ is such a powerful line and it gets me every time. Knowing that he committed suicide gives an added poignancy to his music as you can sense the sadness in all of his songs.


Two Films that influenced Adam 

Pride:

This film, based on the true story of miners’ strikes of the 1980s, is a wonderful piece of cinema. The acting is fantastic, the cause is a just one, and the music in the film is absolutely superb. It makes me proud to work for a trade union. The sense of camaraderie you get between what would appear to be such contrasting demographics is very inspiring. I always recommend it to people!

Groundhog Day:

Apart from the fact that Bill Murray stars in this, Groundhog Day has such a positive message to it that I cannot help but feel influenced by it. Murray’s character lives the same day over and over again, and his misery is there for all to see at the start of the film. However, the underlying message of learning to appreciate life and live in the now is put across so well in this film that I find myself watching it on a regular basis and it always cheers me up.  










Two People (famous or not, fictional or real- it’s entirely up to you) that influenced your life and explain why:

Jeremy Corbyn:

I began a teaching career in 2009, just as the coalition government came into power. During the seven years that I spent teaching, I was privy to the devastation that funding cuts had on both the workplace and my wider community in the North East of England. As things got progressively worse, I found myself bereft as there appeared to be no alternative to the status quo. When Jeremy became the leader of the Labour Party, I found myself inspired by many of his beliefs and the message he tried to put across. Politics isn’t simple, it never is, but Jeremy Corbyn helped me believe that there may be another way of doing things which puts the interests of people above clinging to power. He’s taken a lot of flak for this, but I still have hope.

Mark Hudson:

I am loathed to choose just one teacher, as there are so many I could mention, but my former PGCE tutor, Mark, has to have had one of the biggest influences on my life. It was his encouragement and feedback that got me into writing some ten years ago. Without his support it is highly unlikely that I would be here now, having had a novel published. For that, I cannot thank him enough. I’m pretty sure he doesn’t know that this has happened for me, actually!   

Also supply blurb from most recent novel, author bio, author photo and book cover (date of Adam's debut novel Open Grave was released on 26th September 2018.

DCI Jack Lambert is no stranger to inner demons, having struggled with his own since the admission about his sexuality.  
When two bodies are discovered in an open grave, Lambert must put his personal worries aside and work the case. But when the body of a local thug shows up on the banks of the River Tyne, the DCI’s criminal past comes back to haunt him.
Meanwhile, a local celebrity singer claims that she is being stalked. Could there be a link to the killings?
As the bodies start to pile up, Lambert realises the motive lies in the past and that the killer is taunting them.
The clock is ticking. Can he catch the murderer, or will one of their own end up in an open grave?





Comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will now be placed in a moderation queue for approval.