Book review: The Snow White Trilogy by Salla Simukka

As Red as Blood by Salla Simukka is the first story in the thrilling Nordic crime series The Snow White Trilogy, an international sensation that has been published in 46 countries worldwide. Simukka masterfully weaves dark elements of fairytales into a compelling Nordic thriller.

'Fans of Nesbø and Larsson won't be disappointed' Publishers Weekly

‘The first in the Snow White trilogy, this is a gripping and engrossing story featuring a strong and courageous heroine. Set against a wintry Finnish backdrop, this is an intriguing and brilliantly crafted thriller which keeps the reader absorbed right to the end.’ Booktrust


This was my first foray into YA, and I think I have found a new favourite character in Lumikki Andersson.

When Lumikki stumbles on thousands of euro's drying in the darkroom at her high school She finds herself drawn into a deadly game, one that she never wanted to get into. She likes to be alone, she doesn't want to get involved in things that don't concern her, but purely by chance she finds herself in danger. The euro's she finds have been washed,  judging from the smell, and the stains on them Lumikki thinks it's because they were covered in blood.

This first book in the series delivers a real punch, in more ways than one. It is beautifully written. Full of intrigue, it kept me guessing to the very end. Lumikki is a great character. I'm not surprised that she likes to be on her own, most of the other characters are in it for themselves, and untrustworthy, but that didn't stop me loving the book. With all the key ingredients expected in a crime novel, murder, mayhem, twists and turns, this novel doesn't disappoint. This was definitely a five star read for me,



The second book in the Snow White Trilogy sees Lumikki holidaying in Prague, She is sitting on a wall taking in the wonderful sights when she is approached by Lenka, a girl who claims to be her sister. Lumikki doesn't have a sister, but then she starts to remember things, and when she questions her family they begin to act very mysteriously. As with the first book, Lumikki is drawn into something dark and dangerous, but this time she is not alone.

It is in this second part of the trilogy that Lumikki's past start to unravel, and we begin to see the girl behind the enigma. Although this story was very good, it didn't grab me as much as As Red As Blood, the first book in the trilogy. The plot wasn't as good, and I quickly realised what was happening, or thought I did. The fabulous writing, and the wonderful character Limikki kept me reading, and I'm glad I did, the ending is superb. Again, I was left wanting to find out more about the enigma that is Lumikki. A 4 star read for me.



As Black As Ebony is the final book in the Snow White Trilogy. Lumikki Andersson is back in her apartment in Tampere, and now she has a boyfriend, Sampsa. She also has a stalker. Someone is sending her threatening letters. Could it be Blaze, the ex who Lumikki is having trouble forgetting, and who is now back on the scene? or could it be the laid back Sampsa? As the stalker gets closer, and closer, and Lumikki becomes more, and more paranoid, she must decide who to trust.

With this book, Simukka is back to the form she was in, in book one. Her writing is, once again, fabulous, and all the loose ends from the previous books are tied up. Her heroine is edgy, strong, and again finds herself in danger. Will she be able escape with her life this time, or is this the end for Lumikki.

I am extremely sad that this series has come to an end. The books are gripping, and kept me reading. Lumikki is a wonderful heroine, and I urge Salla Simukka to write more novels.


All in all, this is a great series, and one that I can thoroughly recommend. The only thing I would say is that the books must be read in order. A deserved 5 star read. I will certainly be looking out for more from this author.

Salla Simukka won the Topelius Prize, the oldest literary prize in Finland, for this series.



Comments