Author Interview: A quick catch up with Simon Kernick whose latest book The Final Minute is on sale now!

The Crime Warp catches up with the delectable Simon kernick author of The Final Minute (and many many more wonderful crime novels).
Fellow blogger Roman interviewed you for The Crime Warp about 18 months ago, so it’s nice to have the opportunity to catch up with you once again particularly in light of your very busy last year.



Liz:  A lot of your book titles have an element of time in them (The Last 10 Seconds, The Final Minute, Yesterday Before, During etc) which, I think gives them an immediacy that hints at the fast pace that has become your trademark. 
Is that a deliberate ploy?

Simon:  Yes. For exactly that reason.

Liz:  Well, you certainly succeed.  I don't think I've read a novel written by you that doesn't go like the clappers from beginning to end. I’ve, read and reviewed your novels in three parts and found them absorbing and enjoyable.  What made you release them in three parts as opposed to as a novella?


Simon: I’ve been a fan of serials since childhood so I thought it would be an interesting and, if you’ll excuse the pun,  novel idea to make the novella 3 parts, with parts 1 and 2 ending on real cliffhangers so that the reader kept coming back for more.

Liz:  When we spoke to you at The Theakstons crime writing festival in Harrogate last year you were reading The Strangler’s Hugh Cornwell’s autobiography, what are you reading at the minute?

Simon: The Cartel by Don Winslow. It’s the follow up to
release date June 25th
The Power of the Dog, and is a great, ambitious and extremely interesting crime story.

Liz: So, how does an ex labourer, fruit picker, barman and Christmas tree uprooter become a crime writer?


Simon: To be honest, I’ve written stories ever since I was old enough to pick up a pen, and I always dreamed of making my living doing it, but I had to wait a long time. I wrote two crime novels in my twenties and early thirties- neither of which were publishable- before finally honing my style enough so that I got a deal with my third, The Business of Dying.

Liz:  How does a busy crime writer, living in Oxford relax?

Simon: Lots of things. Kayaking, walking, cycling, drinking and carousing. And reading, of course.

Liz:  Which of your own books is your favourite and why?

Simon: Siege. I think it’s the most exciting and has the best structure.


Liz:  Which book  (not one of your own) do you
wish you’d written?

Simon: The Godfather. It’s an amazing story beautifully told.

Liz:  I notice you share a birthday with Rabbie Burn’s.  Have you ever fancied writing a bit of poetry? Ode to a serial killer perhaps?

Simon: He he. I wrote poems when I was a teenager, real angst-filled ones, but they weren’t very good. No, I think I’ll stick to the books.

Liz: ...and of course, finally what’s next in the pipeline for you?

Simon: I’m currently writing a new thriller- as yet untitled- for release in January next year, so I keep busy, I promise!

Liz:  Well thanks for the catch up Simon, look forward to seeing you in Harrogate and good luck with the new book

if you want more info on Simon's books check out the link to check out his Amazon page
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Simon-Kernick/e/B00JEBP6HI/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1433248633&sr=1-2-ent

Comments