Follow the Leader, another fab read from Mel Sherratt



What can I say about Mel Sherratt, her novels go from strength to strength, and in my opinion this is definitely the best one yet.
Follow the Leader is the second outing for the fabulous DS Allie Shenton, (the first being the gripping, Taunting the Dead), and it is an awesome book. One of the best I've read in a while, and even though it does sometimes refer back to Taunting the Dead, it can still be read as a standalone novel.
Mickey Taylor’s body has been found by a canal towpath. Allie recognises him. In his pocket is a green plastic letter E, the game has begun. It becomes apparent that there is a link, not just to one of her colleagues, Perry Wright, but also to her beloved sister Karen. Tension mounts as the body count rises.
Although the reader knows who the killer is from the start, it doesn’t spoil the enjoyment of the story at all. It is a gripping read, and there are plenty of twists.
As with all of Mel's books, the characters are well drawn out and very realistic. Allie is fast becoming my favourite detective.  The novel is based in Stoke on Trent, and although I've never been there, I got a real sense of the place. It is quite obvious that Mel loves her home town.
Mel's books are very easy to read, but they are also engrossing. I have enjoyed every one. I thoroughly recommend them all. If you have never read a Mel Sherratt novel, you must.
I was gutted to reach the end of this book. Be prepared to stay up late, as you won't want to put this book down until you've reached the last page. More Allie Shenton please Mel.
 

Comments