Author Interview: Peter May, novelist, screenwriter, fiction multi- award winner, protege of The Richard & Judy Book Club 2011, Bob Dylan fan, appreciator of fine French wine, Scottish Whisky, Black pudding, Harris Tweed, Michelin - rated food...and an all round nice guy! Plus the winner of The Chessmen Chain Selfie Competition is announced

Two Christmases  ago I was loitering in Waterstones (Bradford)  with intent to buy a crime book (or three).  Anyway, hearing a Scottish accent I turned round to see this lovely young assistant talking to a fellow browser.  Spotting me furtively leafing through the crime books he approached and we got chatting about crime fiction.  He then directed me to The Blackhouse by Peter May saying it was the best book he’d read for ages.  Never one to ignore a recommendation from a fellow crime reader I went the whole hog and bought the first two books in the Lewis Trilogy... and I have to say a very fine investment it was! 



After reading all three of Peter's Hebridean Trilogy and an Enzo Macleod book The Critic re- released 2014, I was very excited by the versatility of Peter’s writing.  
So, when the opportunity to be a ‘Peter May Super Fan’ came up, I jumped at the chance and was lucky enough to receive a review copy of Peter’s new book Runaway and a copy of the gorgeous HB Hebrides (jam packed with lovely Hebridean scenes) (photography by David Wilson)


Having read, loved and reviewed Runaway I decided to be a wee bit cheeky and email the man himself to ask if I could interview him for The Crime warp... and hurrah, he agreed.  (Poor man doesn’t know what he’s letting himself in for)
Anyway here it is.  The Peter May interview.


Liz :  Hi Peter , first of all I’d like to say how pleased I am that you agreed to be interviewed for our blog- It’s ever so brave of you, particularly since I've only interviewed a few other writers before this.  Rest assured though- they survived - (Well I think they did).  

The Quarry Hill Flats (largest social housing
 project of the time) -  featured in Runaway
Peter: Well, it’s lovely to meet you Liz.  I’m in the middle of a hectic tour of the UK at the moment and I’m disappointed that there are no dates in the Leeds/Bradford area, which features in my new book.  I had a great time doing my research for Runaway in Leeds and its environs.

The West Yorkshire Playhouse now occupies the site of
the Quarry Hill Flats featured in Peter's book Runaway
Liz: It would have been great to host you in Leeds which is such a thriving vibrant city... but next time maybe?  
I’m going to kick off with The Lewis Trilogy. Obviously the first question has got to be about your research.  I know you’re a Glaswegian living in France so how did you go about researching the Hebrides?

Peter:  I spent fifteen years working in television as a creator, scriptwriter, script editor, and latterly as a producer.  In the 1990s, I spent five years making a 99-episode Gaelic drama serial.  I co-created it with my wife, writer Janice Hally, we researched the stories and characters in the Outer Hebrides, and when the show was commissioned, I became the producer.  We shot it entirely on location.  It was a very intense period of our lives, and I can definitely say I got to know the island and the people who lived there very well. 
Lewis Coastline
We were out in all weathers, filming in every corner of the place! I think every family on the island had someone that had been an extra in it, or had worked in some capacity on it, at one time or other.  So we became pretty well integrated with island life and the islanders.

Liz: Have you had any feedback from Lewis Islanders who've read the books? And if so what have they said?

Lewis
Peter:  The books have had an amazing response.  I've been knocked out by the warmth and praise I’ve received.  The tourist board has also been very happy with the books!  Tourism is up and there is even a Peter May Trail that people can follow to visit all the places that are in the books.  http://www.petermaytrail.com

Liz : Bearing in mind the Historic content of each of your books, how do you plot?  Do you start in the present and plot back or the other way around?

The Lewis Chessmen
Peter: I have a clear idea of the two storylines, the past and the present. The events in the past always influence the events in the present.  I know what the key events in the past are, but when it comes to slotting them in to the story, I have to work on the plot of the present day storyline, and pick the best times to reveal parts of the past.

Liz: Another recurring theme is Religion.  In The Blackhouse you reference the observance of the Sabbath, Fin's agnosticism and the hypocrisy of Donald Murray, and in The Chessmen Fin defends him very articulately. How significant are your own religious views in your writing?

Blackhouse at Arnol
Peter: One thing I learned when writing drama, was that all the characters have to be individual and be true to themselves, with their own unique voices. That means you get inside the head of the bad guys, the good guys, and every other character that makes an appearance in your
story.  And when you do that you discover that people are rarely black and white.  They are multi-dimensional, complex.  I don’t see Donald as a hypocrite, I understand what he believes, and why he does the things he does. My own religious views don’t enter into the story at all.  The arguments about religion are between the characters, they reflect the views and beliefs of the characters and I hope that I give a fair account of them and a true voice to each of them.  
The Callanash standing stones
Liz:  I think you give a very balanced representation of  the range of peoples beliefs.  Now, last one about the Hebrides  – What would your recommendations be for a first time visitor?

Abhainn Dearg Distiillery Lewis
Peter:  Visit the beaches, the stunning cliffs and coastline.  Don’t miss the standing stones at Callanish.  Go and see the Blackhouse at Arnol, there are also some restored blackhouses that you can stay in on the island.  Visit the island’s only whisky distillery.  Taste Stornoway’s award-winning black pudding. Take home a souvenir hat, jacket or bag made of Harris Tweed.  And if you want to visit the

locations in the books, do the Peter May Trail.. http://www.petermaytrail.com

Liz:  Now, with barely a pause for breath, on to Runaway.  I read Runaway in only a few sittings and was loathe to put it down.  What I enjoyed most about it was that sense of socio-political consciousness that ran through the book, for
example, Ricky’s attitude to computer war games and his eventual meeting with a war veteran and the way you grounded us in the 60’s by referencing the Leeds Quarry Hill Flats -  Did you intend that or was it just a by- product of writing the plot?

Peter:  The book let me look at issues of age and ageing, youth and innocence, boyhood dreams and the compromises that people live with in their lives.  And it wasn’t just the boys who had big dreams for themselves and their futures, but the nation as well, it was a hopeful time, things were on the up.  1965 was such an amazing year in all sorts of ways.  I wanted to look at how Britain had changed in those 50 years and did a lot of research.  It was very interesting to see what had become of Britain’s hopes for its future.

Liz:   The concept of these three elderly men doing a sort of ‘Thelma & Louise’ is so heart –warming.  What gave you the
idea for the book?  

Peter:  It’s a story I’ve wanted to write for years, I’ve always loved the concept of a group of friends running away from their homes as teenagers and then, as old men, running away again.  I suppose it’s because I ran away with the band I played in, in my teens… maybe I’ve always had a secret desire to run away again!

Liz:  I love your ‘historic’ books, but I equally love the more light hearted Enzo Macleod ones.  How easy is it for you to jump from one style of writing to another?

Peter:  It’s not just easy, it’s refreshing to write different styles of books.  Enzo is fun.  I always enjoy the research for the Enzo books, I’ve spent a lot of time talking and tasting wine with winemakers and eating in the kitchen with 3-star Michelin chefs.  As you can see I take my research VERY seriously!

Liz:  Can't say I blame you Peter.  Thanks again for this interview,  I’ve had a lovely time ... but, before you escape, can you tell us all what’s on the cards for you now writing wise?

Peter:  Next year I have to write TWO books.  One which I am researching at the moment, which will take me back to the Outer Hebrides to the Isle of Harris, and the other is the final book in the Enzo Files series.
Liz:  Gosh , you're going to be a very busy man. I look forward to reading both your books although with a slightly heavy heart in the case of the final Enzo Macleod book and am so glad Runaway is doing so well.

Take a look at  Peter's Amazon page http://www.amazon.co.uk/Peter-May/e/B000APG4K0/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1421928311&sr=1-2-ent

The Chessmen Chain Selfie Competition winner is announced....
A huge congratulations to Melissa Newman from Guildford

who wins a copy of Peter's new book Runaway and a copy of the his gorgeous HB book Hebrides (photographs by Davd Wilson)
To view reviews of Peter's other books on The Crime Warp follow these links
Runawayhttp://thecrimewarp.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/book-review-runaway-by-peter-may.html

The Critic http://thecrimewarp.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/book-review-critic-by-peter-may.html

The Backhouse:    http://thecrimewarp.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/book-review-blackhouse-by-peter-may.html

The Lewis Man http://thecrimewarp.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/book-review-lewis-man-by-peter-may.html

Comments