Book review : He Said, She Said by Erin Kelly ... a psychological thriller set against a very natural phenomena

Available on Amazon
Click here


I've been hearing lots about this book and when it come up on Netgalley I rushed to download it... and I must say I wasn't disappointed.

He Said, She Said is one of those fascinating books that just drips atmosphere from the very start.  Hardly surprising really when the entire story unfolds against a backdrop of a series of eclipses.  The palpable emotion of these fascinating occurrences mixed with the tension of this psychological thriller evokes a taut claustrophobia that kept me unsettled right to the last page.

The pivotal moment of He Said, She Said occurs in the aftermath of a total eclipse when Laura witnesses the end of a violent rape.  For Laura, her boyfriend Kit, the rape victim and the rapist things will never be the same and, as the repercussions of that day continue, Kit and Laura find themselves, fifteen years later, living in fear yet still drawn to the raw beauty of the eclipses they follow.

I loved the way Kelly took us not only on a journey with the four pivotal characters, but also on a quest for the perfect eclipse.  The way the natural phenomena mirrored the
imperfections of life drew me in fully.  Kelly adroitly used sleight of hand and misdirection to keep us hooked through each twist and turn.  I loved this book because it was more than your normal psychological thriller.  It cast its characters against nature and showed them up to be only human after all... that, for me, was very special.

Comments