Author Q&A with Kerry Richardson







It's great to have Northern lass Kerry Richardson on The Crime Warp today.  I have been a fan of her north east police series for ages and its been lovely chatting to her.






Liz:  Tell us a bit about your latest book.
Available on Amazon
Click here


Kerry: My latest novel is Watch You Burn - it's the fourth in the north east police series and is based around arson. It was released on 2nd May 2017 and is gathering some fab reviews.

Liz: How long did Watch You Burn take to write?

Kerry: This one actually took me nigh on 2 years to complete. I was diagnosed with an autoimmune condition and it really affected my ability to write for some time. It's settled down a bit now and I'm grateful I was able to get the book finished.


Liz:  Well I for one am very happy you've managed to keep writing. Could you describe how the germ of an idea develops into a full-blown novel?

Kerry: For me I start with a general idea - with Watch You Burn I started with the idea of writing arson using a female
arsonist. I then do character profiles for my main protagonists and antagonist - it helps me to know them before I write them. Then I sit down and start to actually write. I write chronologically so my novel makes sense as I write and I make note of any plot holes I come across as I do read throughs.

Liz:  Where is your favourite place to write and why?

Kerry: Fave place to write is a coffee shop, or in a room full of light with a good view - I love being able to block out any background noise and lose myself in my current WIP. I often meet with Eileen Wharton in Starbucks and we write together. We both find this very productive.

Liz: Do you ever suffer from writer’s block and if so how do you overcome it?

Kerry: I think all writers suffer from this at times - it's part and parcel. Sometimes your brain shuts down and refuses to let the ideas flow. I deal with it by taking a break and doing something else - I'm quite creative generally so I'll make
some cards or do some sketching. Or I'll go out for a walk - I love being around nature and find it helps bring back my creativity. Then I'll head back and sit back down. Usually find by the time I've made a cuppa I'm itching to get going again.

Liz: Is there a particular book you wish you’d written and why?

Kerry: The Treatment by Mo Hayder. Absolutely loved how deliciously dark and terrifying this book was. And I love the wandering man character. One of my all time favourites.

Liz:  The Treatment is fantastic and I love the way the wandering man returns in the series. Can you tell us two things about yourself that your readership may be unaware of?

Kerry: I'm a Scorpio - so I can be unpredictable and stubborn. Extremely so at times.
I've never been a girly girl but I love having my finger nails done - especially in bright colours.


Liz:  I'm a Scorpio too... though despite what my husband says, I'm not stubborn at all. (hmm) Which author are you cosying up with tonight? 

Kerry: I've lost my reading mojo of late but I'm still reading
Alone in the Dark by Karen Rose. I love her work - she's a very inspiring lady and I've always been a huge fan. Still have fan girl moments when she chats to me on Facebook and would love to meet her one day.

Liz: Who or what inspires you to keep writing?

Everything inspires me - I love people watching, I love nature, news headlines, emotions etc. If something really bothers me I'll often pen down something that includes bits of what has upset me - so when the bomb went off in Manchester I started writing about a man who'd been coerced into terrorism as he'd been looking for something to believe in but then was coming to the realisation that what he thought he believed in he really didn't. I find it cathartic in some ways. It'll never see the light of day but it helped me deal with some of how I felt about the whole thing.


Liz: Have you ever thought of setting a book somewhere exotic so you could visit that place or perhaps live there for a while? 

Kerry: I went on holiday to Cuba last year - working holiday actually but being in such a gorgeous place made me jot down a lot of notes for a standalone that could potentially be set there. It will obviously have to mean further research trips though. Haha.


Liz: Do you have competing ideas for future projects and have you ever worked on more than one at the same time?

Kerry: Never before really - I get a general idea for the next novel when I'm working the previous one - however my mind must be working overtime at the minute cos I've got a general plot for books 5,6 and 7, as well as a novella and I'm working on a supernatural trilogy. Not good as I have to finish one project before starting the next!!

Liz:  Busy beaver!  Kerry, you've been an absolute delight here on The Crime Warp.

If you want to stalk.. I mean keep up to date with what Kerry's up to, here are her links.

Facebook: KA Richardson
Twitter: @kerryann77 or @karichardson77

Comments