The Crime Warp welcomes Ross Greenwood, author of Lazy Blood and his newest release The Boy Inside.



Today on The Crime Warp crime writer Ross Greenwood reveals all about his newest work, his writing habits, his past life and what's in store for him in the future.  The Boy Inside release date 7th February 2017



Current work- The Boy Inside
          The Boy Inside is a realistic and often harrowing
Available on Amazon
Click here
portrayal of some young adults who end up living a life of crime.
  Working as a prison officer for four years inspired this book. I took the job as a career change. I don’t regret doing it, but I’d never do it again. Prison was very different from what I thought. I was actually plain wrong about a lot of things. I think every prison officer would say the same thing. I wanted to write a book that would challenge people’s idea of who we lock up. Especially the young. I think this book will open a lot of people’s eyes.

Were my characters based on real people? 


In a way, yes. I knew I was going to leave for about 6 months before I actually did. I was working in resettlement by then. The general public’s perception of prison is you go there to be punished. The reality is that being sent there is the punishment. While people are in prison they have lost their freedom which is terrible to anyone from any walk of life. What’s important is that they don’t just get chucked out of the door at the end of their sentences as if they are homeless, or skill-less, or any of a number of things, they will just go out again, commit more crimes, ruin lives and get sent back. That’s why prison for many is a revolving door. Before I left I used to ask them all about their lives and how they ended up behind bars.

Where is your favourite place to write and why?

I could write anywhere in silence. No radio, no music, no traffic. I could possibly accept the odd tweet from a bird.

 Do you ever suffer from writer’s block and if so how do you overcome it?

I suffer from a lack of time and silence. We have two kids, 3 and 6. I’m sure you understand!


Can you tell us two things about yourself that your readership may be unaware of?

Before I had kids I developed a real travel bug. Amongst other places, I went to Machu Picchu, The Galapagos, Malaysia, Australia, Canada, Bolivia, Indonesia, The Amazon, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia and even Gibraltar! Now I have caravan holidays in Norfolk.

Who are your writing heroes and why?


One of my favourite authors is Irvine Welsh. His work is very different to most stuff out there. He has an ability to describe very real unpleasant characters but with a sense of humour. I love books that make me laugh out loud, yet aren’t comedies.

Could you describe the book you are working on at the moment using only 5 words?

Available here
The plan was to complete three books on lives affected by prison. One was Lazy Blood; a normal person who drifted into crime, The Boy Inside about career criminals, and a third book, about someone who is accused of a terrible crime. Title to be confirmed!


Have you ever thought of setting a book somewhere exotic so you could visit that place or perhaps live there for a while? 


All the time, hourly sometimes, ha ha. I didn’t make it to India, so that would be the place. I’m sure I could think 
something up under a Goan palm tree. Anyone free for babysitting? Two years would probably be enough.

Comments