Book Review: Deadly Cross by James Patterson (the 28th Cross book)

Available Here
Can you believe this is the 28th Alex Cross novel? I can't. It seems like only yesterday I was reading Along Came A Spider  and although I've maybe missed a few Cross thrillers along the way, I love dipping into this so familiar series and getting my fix of the lovely Cross family. 

Blurb: Deadly Cross

A scandalous double homicide opens the psychological case files on Alex Cross . . .

When a glamorous socialite and high school principal are found murdered, lying half naked in a car, the shocking double homicide dominates tabloid headlines. Kay Willingham was a well-known philanthropist and ex-wife of the US vice president. Randall Christopher was a respected educator with political ambitions, as well as a wife and family.

Alex Cross knew both victims well. Especially Kay, who had been his patient once. And maybe more. Cross is left grieving, questioning who would want them dead, and why.

While Cross's former Metro Homicide partner John Sampson tracks Christopher's final movements, Cross and FBI Special Agent Ned Mahoney travel to Alabama to investigate Kay's past. They discover that although Kay had many enemies, none of them had a full motive.

In a world of trouble, corruption, and secrets, Cross is left facing a desperate choice between breaking a trust and losing his way . . .

My Thoughts

This was the perfect lockdown read for me and I simply devoured it. I think James Patterson should publish a cook book of all of Nana Mama's brilliant recipes - but I digress. Mind you, the whole Cross family dynamics are one of the hooks that keeps me coming back for more. 

In Deadly Cross, Bree and Alex have to work on their relationship as workloads and politics put them at cross purposes on occasion. Jannie, Damon and Ali all play their role in making this a book to just curl up with and indulge yourself. It's like hot chocolate on a snowy day, but with cinnamon and spice on top. 

Deadly Cross, was an emotional rollercoaster for me and I found myself in tears at one point - but NO SPOILERS here! - you'll have to read it yourself to find out more. The things I really loved about this book was that the investigation was personal for Alex. It was also filled with high Adrenalin moments, clever plotting and short sharp chapters to keep you turning the pages. 

I read this quickly - although to say read it is misleading - I actually devoured it in super fast time. 

This is a lasting series that although, it has changed in intensity from the first in the series, it is still as readable and enjoyable as it's always been. Can't wait for more Cross. 

Comments