Author Interview: A.M. Castle author of The Perfect Widow


Such a treat to have the very lovely and equally talented A.M Castle on The Crime Warp today for an author grilling ... oops I mean interview. It's especially nice since she brought cake, and I so love cake. Anyway here's what we talked about ... Enjoy!


Tell us a bit about The Perfect Widow.

The Perfect Widow came out as a paperback in January. It’s also available on Kindle and as an audiobook. It’s my first psychological thriller so, although all my books are my babies, this one is very special. I’ve loved the genre since reading Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier but wasn’t sure if I could write in the genre. I’m very grateful to the amazing Abigail Fenton at HQDigital for telling me I not only could but should.

Where did the inspiration for The Perfect Widow come from?

I went to crime writers’ and readers’ conference called Killer Women and listened to a fascinating lecture on psychopaths. As well as great nuggets like the fact that psychopaths dream in black and white, we were told that female psychopaths are incredibly rare. I suddenly thought how interesting it would be to write about this very peculiar (and frightening) mindset occurring in a peaceful suburban setting. 

How long did it take to write?

The Perfect Widow took me eighteen months to write – much longer than usual. I really wanted to get the main character’s voice exactly right and that took time.

If The Perfect Widow was ever to be televised or made into a film who would you like to play
Available here
your main character and why?


This would be such a dream come true! I’d love the character of Louise to be played by an English Gwyneth Paltrow, someone beautiful but glacial. Jodie Comer would be brilliant.

Are any of your characters based on real life people?

Absolutely not! In my previous incarnation I was a journalist and I’m very careful to stay on the right side of the libel laws ;)

Could you describe how the germ of an idea develops into a full-blown novel?

Hmm, this is such a tricky one. Sometimes you just know from the start that an idea has ‘legs’, as we used to say in Fleet Street, meaning that you can stretch it over 70, 80 or even 90k words. Sometimes, with the best will in the world, there’s not enough plot to stretch. Then you either have to inject another element into the idea, or admit defeat, which can be very painful.

Is there a subsidiary character you have created and are particularly fond of and why?

I actually loved the character of the policewoman Becca in The Perfect Widow. She’s quite the underdog and has a troubled life but I was really rooting for her. I’ve had quite a few readers say she should have her own series, which is a great idea that I’m mulling over! One reviewer accused me of ‘fat shaming’ her but in fact all the pejorative views of her appearance come from her own overly critical interior monologue. Sometimes we can be our own worst enemies (something I know myself!) and I wanted to show this.

Where is your favourite place to write and why?

I have a lovely desk with a view out over some wilderness ground full of weeds and for some reason it’s a great place to concentrate. During lockdown I’ve seen robins, squirrels, blue tits and foxes take up residence (not bad for Lewisham!)

Do you have a particular writing routine you follow?

I have endless writing routines! I’m always trying to trick myself into writing more. I play two hands of computer bridge before I start work, and I’m afraid I’m constantly veering off into internet searches for random stuff when I get stuck.

Any tips for would-be writers seeking publication?

Keep going! Chance plays a huge part in success, but also just sticking with it and wearing down the opposition seems to work for me.

Is there a particular book you wish you’d written and why?

Oh gosh, so, so, many! But all the brilliant books out there are a constant exhortation to do better. They’re all just words. I just have to put mine in the right order.

What is it about Crime fiction as a genre that turns you on?

I think crime fiction is uniquely satisfying as a genre because you can read a mystery in many ways. You can go along for the story, letting the author show you the clues and waiting to be enlightened, or you can be an active participant, trying to beat the sleuth to the solution. Most authors also have side preoccupations that can be really fascinating, so you’ll usually learn a lot too in the course of a book.

Which author are you cosying up with tonight?

I absolutely love Elly Griffith’s series featuring Dr Ruth Galloway, it’s got so much humour and I feel as though I know the characters. I’ve just finished Big Little Lies by Lianne Moriarty, so beautifully plotted it worked like a machine.

Who or what inspires you to keep writing?
I’m inspired by my desire to write a book one day that I think will really make its mark, and either take the genre in a slightly different direction or at least be the absolute best that I can make it. Like any creative thing, a book is hard to get completely right, but I’m going to keep on trying.

Could you describe the book you are working on at the moment using only 5 words?

A twisty locked room mystery

Have you ever thought of setting a book somewhere exotic so you could visit that place or perhaps live there for a while? Where would that be?

I’ve been writing this book during lockdown and it’s both a place that I’d love to revisit and, thanks to my story, somewhere I’d never set foot willingly again.

Do you have competing ideas for future projects and have you ever worked on more than one at the same time?
I’ve frequently found myself writing a story in the mornings and editing another in the afternoons. I don’t really recommend it but sometimes needs must!

It's been an absolute pleasure to have you on The Crime warp, please do come again. 


Comments

  1. Thanks so much for having me on The Crime Warp today, Liz. I had such fun with your questions and it was great to hang out (with cake) xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will now be placed in a moderation queue for approval.