A Word from the Author: Malcolm Hollingdrake author of the Harrogate series.


The term truth can be stranger than fiction has never been more real than today when we know the position in which we now find ourselves. It is clearly a position of uncertainty and with that comes a degree of anxiety, whether that be for ourselves, our loved ones or our communities. They are unprecedented times.
What I have realised is that as a country we seem to come together during times of adversity; a human spirit is rekindled and we suddenly begin to look out for others – kindness comes to the fore. Even in the simplest of forms – my banging a pan on a Thursday evening at eight is as much for my well-being as for saying thank you to the many key workers. It helps me belong and feel a part of a missing community when in isolation.
We also see amazing achievements. Who would have thought that a ninety-nine year old, a tank
commander in WW2, would again show true grit and leadership in a way that was not only humbling but inspiring; for here is a man who has innocently lifted the hearts of so many and drawn from them a real sense of determination, a faith and hope and love for one’s fellow man? It was not just about the money raised but about the re-emergence – that lost feeling of the Dunkirk spirit being found and rising again from the mists of time.
As a writer, this same spirit has been present since I entered the frightening world writing for an audience. To call oneself an author and be accepted by one’s peers was something I believed would take time and many publications but it was clear from the outset that there was an immediate welcome and warmth, a camaraderie that was non-judgemental.
Do you remember your first day at school? Well, seeing my book in print for the first time was very much like that day. My immediate cohort, all in the same leaky boat rallied round offering mutual support until gradually new friends were established and I felt comfortable with my new surroundings. Did you notice how the older ones, those established were never the ones to offer a guiding hand when at school? As a novice author, I am pleased to say that was not the case in this world where people love books. It did not matter if they were as new to the game as me or they were million book sellers, they were the same; prepared to chat and offer that critical advice or simply offer a welcome. Martina Cole, L J Ross, Ian Rankin, Lee Child always appeared to have time to listen and respond to their fellow authors even though they were new to the game.
I also found that authors were prepared to share your books in their social media posts. I discovered that many are selfless in promoting other authors within their blogs and within posts. Sharing and caring comes to mind, that spirit of togetherness. So even though I am in isolation it feels no different from the period before. What I am trying to say is that the crime writing community has been just that, a supportive family and it has helped me through some dark times.
As authors, at some time in our writing career, we all need a leg up to get to another level. I feel sure that success in this profession is not only about writing well but also about being in the right place at the right time. Serendipity, plays a key role. I know that there are people out there who will go out of their way to help and support me and that is inspiring in its own way. I too will always try to do the same.
Available here
I hope this has not been just rambling nonsense. It is my way of banging my pan in thanks to you, my fellow authors, to bloggers and readers for your support over my short writing career. I hope my writing brings you as much pleasure as it brings me.
Keep safe and well and most importantly, keep writing, reading and if you have time reviewing.
Thank you.
And if you fancy hearing extracts from Malcolm's series or to see some of the scenes from the book, have a little look at this fab video.






Comments