My Life of Crime by C.M Stephenson author of She Lies Hidden


After growing up in a small Lancashire village, I left school at fifteen. In my late teens I met people whose lives were complicated, fuelled by drugs, and filled with violence and aggression. There were others too, in my mid-twenties, everyday people, educated, with careers, who had decent parents; people who you wouldn’t look at twice in the street. They were worse; I knew the victims of their crimes too.
When I was nineteen,I moved to Cornwall. Other than spending two years living and working in Australia, it was a move that would anchor  me there most of my life. My career has been eclectic. Prior to becoming a writer,I worked in human resource management and subsequently set up my own consultancy which included executive and corporate coaching, personality profiling, training and development. It was here that my love of writing bloomed. Ten years ago, my husband’s job dictated that we move to South Gloucestershire. This in turn, led to a brand-new life. We now live just outside a small medieval town, set between Bristol and Bath. 

Captivated by the psychological thriller genre, I decided it was time to study the craft and undertook the A215 in Creative Writing with Open University, and later followed that with an MA Creative Writing at Bath Spa University, graduating with Merit in 2016. 
My work was included in the university’s Sparks Anthology and I gained representation with Andrew Nurnberg and Associates soon after. I spent the following eighteen months writing and editing what is now my debut novel. In May 2018 I was delighted to sign with Bloodhound Books

Two Books That Have Influenced Christine:
Writing Fiction – A Guide to the Narrative Craft by Janet Burroway :
This book was on the Reading List for the MA in Creative Writing that I undertook. It’s a great book, it covers everything a writer of fiction needs to know, all of which is easily understandable and beautifully written. I bought mine second-hand and it never fails to inspire me. Even the Preface is an example of writing at it’s best. This, of all the books on writing I have read, transformed my writing.


The Life and Adventures of Robinson Crusoe by Daniel De Foe:
Over a 100 years old, this illustrated book was presented to my Grandfather by his Uncle Walter. Along with the story, it is filled with the most wonderful colour drawings by J. Fennemore. As a young child it was passed on to me and I have loved and cared for it ever since. Sadly, someone else possessed it before me – they explored their own illustrative skills on the blank inside pages of the cover. Pencil drawings of a galleon at the front, and table at the back. Thankfully they left it at that. The cover itself is somewhat worn. Nevertheless, that book opened my world to adventures and shaped my love of reading.

Two Songs That Influenced Christine  
Proud by M People, always raises my spirits and makes me think. It was a ‘must listen to’ song on my mp3 player when I was training for marathons. The line, ‘What Have You Done Today to Make Yourself Proud,’ is burnt into my psyche and has been instrumental in many of the challenges I have chosen.




Hurt by Johnny Cash. This song is my all time favourite. It’s filled with emotion and, for me, is the best record Johnny Cash ever produced. It never fails to touch my heart.








Two Films That Influenced Christine
Strictly Ballroom – I’m an individual who not only loves dancing (although my clubbing days are over), but also one that loves to see the underdog succeed. It’s an absolute joy to watch.




Rear Window – I think this is the film that truly unleashed my love of crime fiction. James Stewart, Grace Kelly and Raymond Burr are wonderful actors and the script fantastic.





Two People That Influenced Christine
My Mum – my mum died of lung cancer six years ago. She was, and still is, the bravest and most positive person I know. 
Karen Spears – until I met Karen, a work colleague, I’d been fairly transient career wise. From Scotland, she was a wonderful example of someone who got a great education, who respected people and who succeeded at work. Happily married with children, she was always a pleasure to be with. Tragically, she died of cancer before her 40th birthday. She encouraged me to apply myself and to study. I am eternally grateful to her for that.


Book Blurb
She Lies Hidden’ was released on the 24 September 2018 and made the Amazon Kindle Top One Hundred Best Seller List.  
Away from writing, I like to keep fit. As well as trying my hand at triathlons,I have also run the odd marathon, including London, New York, Dublin and Paris. My running shoes are currently taking a break whilst I work on my next novel.
How far would you go to find your missing sister?
When DI Thomasine Albright is informed that the remains of her fifteen-year-old sister have been found, she has the tragic responsibility of breaking the news to her mother.  Thomasine promises her mother that she will be the one to find Karen’s killer.
But Karen Albright wasn’t the only girl to go missing during that weekend in 1973… Veronica Lightfoot disappeared too. They’d lived barely four miles apart, yet apparently never met. Suddenly there is a new question, was Veronica involved in Karen’s death? Is that why she vanished. The only thing is, Veronica’s sister, Rosie is now Thomasine’s best friend and has been since they were teenagers.  
Thomasine wants to work on the case only to be told an emphatic ‘No’.  DI Mel Philips is handed the original case file and begins a new investigation. 
Thomasine has spent the whole of her adult life trying to find her sister. Unwilling to be side-lined, Thomasine decides to go it alone.  She’s willing to sacrifice everything to find Karen’s killer. And when she does – he’ll pay.

You can connect with Christine here 
 Facebook @C.M.Stephenson73 and Twitter @cmstephenson73
Website : www.cmstephenson.co.uk



Comments