My Life of Crime: by John Nicholl, author of Anonimity



This series of My Life of Crime is proving to be both delightful and varied. Today's visitor to the blog, John Nicholl, is no different as he reveals the things that influence him in life and in writing. John Nicholl, an ex-police officer, child protection social worker and lecturer, has written six darkly psychological suspense thrillers, each of which has been an Amazon #1 bestseller. 
John’s books are set in the UK and have a strong Welsh flavour. He began writing after leaving his job heading up child protection services for Carmarthenshire.





Two books that influenced me

Castaway by Lucy Irvine

A true story of adventure and human endurance in the face of adversity. An uplifting and beautifully written book that inspired me to write.

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

An inspiring story that encourages its readers to follow their true life path. Happiness and fulfilment may be closer than you think. I only began writing five years ago and it has become a massive part of my life.






Two Songs that influenced me

A whiter Shade of Pale inspired the title for my first novel, White is the Coldest Colour. The title came to me when listening to the song on Radio 2.


I can’t pick just one other song, but I often listen to Bowie when writing. I’ve been listening to his music since I was in my teens and I can’t see that changing anytime soon
.  


Two Films that influenced me

The English Patient is my favourite film. I love the drama of the film, which is beautifully written, acted and directed. It tells an emotional human story of love and loss. A friend once told me they didn’t like the film at all. Such things are so subjective. It taught me that a writer can’t please everyone.  

If I hadn’t watched The Running Man, I would never have read the book. That makes it an important film for me. The book taught me that quality is more important than length. I think of the book as a master class in creative writing. 

Two People that influenced me

My NSPCC team manager, an ex SAS soldier, taught me so much about the dark side of human nature. My time in child protection informed three of my novels: White is the coldest Colour, When Evil Calls Your Name, and Before I Met Him. The work was emotive and demanding, but I couldn’t have written the books without those experiences. I hope my experiences bring an authenticity and intensity to the writing.

I met my wife when we were sixteen. We’ve been together ever since. She’s been the most significant and consistent influence in my life. 

I also want to give my lovely mum a mention. She died recently, although dementia meant I’d lost much of her long before she passed. She was always there for me and never once let me down. She never knew I became a writer in life. I like to think she does now.

Anonymity, my most recent novel, was published by Bloodhound Books on 6 November. 

Blurb

When Mia, a successful novelist, is targeted by a stalker, her life begins to unravel.
Available here
Unaware that the predatory psychopath has placed cameras in her home, the stalker sends untraceable emails, including photos of her and her four-year-old daughter, demanding Mia performs outlandish tasks, threatening dire consequences if she refuses or approaches the police.
As the pressure builds, Adam, Mia’s sister's boyfriend, offers to accompany her to stay in Italy with her parents. But when the villa is burnt down, Mia fears the stalker has followed her and decides to return to Wales.
Meanwhile, the police are investigating the murder of three women in the area, and when DI Gravel’s daughter is threatened, he takes matters into his own hands.
With his health failing and his career coming to an end, just how far will Gravel go to protect his daughter and catch a vicious killer?


Social media links



Comments