Book Review: The Outcast Dead by Elly Griffiths – Don’t know what a Gibbet is? Now’s your chance to find out.


 What I enjoy about Elly Griffiths’s novels is that I’m not perched on the edge of my seat expecting someone to pounce out at me and I don’t have a desperate need to triple check my locks - Instead I know I can relax in a comfy chair, with a Kit Kat and a hot chocolate and … just… enjoy.
I revel in the archaeological gems liberally sprinkled throughout the pages, I adore the characters from the grumpy Nelson to the colourful Cathbad and I love the mix of mysticism, religion, occultism and paganism that floats throughout the chapters.

In The Outcast Dead Ruth Galloway our friendly archaeologist quite by chance finds the skeleton of the infamous Mother Hook – a notorious child murderer and the last woman to be hung at Norwich castle.  Within hours she’s been roped in to working on a TV Production of Women Who Kill.  However, an American History expert on Victorian Britain has evidence that Mother Hook was innocent.
A Gibbet

Meanwhile, the father of Ruth’s child DI Harry Nelson investigates the death of three young brothers who may have died of cot death. Unfortunately when a young child is abducted from her family home and links to the family of the dead brothers are found Harry is in a race against time to rescue the child.

 By the way:  This is a Gibbet

Comments