Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn


Note: Any review about this book is, by necessity, going to be enigmatic because it has so many twists and turns in it that it would be impossible to do a detailed review without giving away a spoiler or ten!



The novel is set in Missouri, US and has a three act structure.

Basically, it is the story of a woman who disappears, in suspicious circumstances, on her fifth wedding anniversary.  The story is narrated alternately by her husband Nick and by Amy herself.  When it is Nick telling the story, we are in the present and following events as they unfold.  Amy’s voice comes from her diary and progresses from five years previously up to her disappearance.

The book started quite slowly for me and indeed I had one false start where I read a couple of chapters and then put it down for several weeks before starting again.  For anyone else reading the book, my advice is to keep reading because this is one of these books which gains momentum as it progresses and by the time I was half way through, I was carrying it around with me in case just in case I got a chance to turn another page or two!

I can safely say that I don’t think I've ever read a book with so many twists and turns as “Gone Girl”.  Just as you think you have a handle on things, something is revealed which turns the whole story on its head and takes you right back to the drawing board!  There is a steady drip-feed of intriguing clues and characters which are guaranteed to have you formulating and reformulating a whole host of theories as you go.

Gillian Flynn writes in vivid, eloquent prose which for me was reminiscent of Andrew Taylor.  I was particularly impressed with the way in which she was able to get inside the minds of both husband and wife and describe events, thoughts and emotions with a high degree of credibility whilst at the same time have you tearing your hair out wondering who to trust and whose side to be on.
I absolutely agree with Richard and Judy’s recommendation for this book.  It is five star read which kept me hooked right to the end.

I read the paperback – purchased from W H Smith.  I bought this book because I wanted to try out a Richard and Judy Book Club recommendation for the first time.  I have not read any other books by the same author.

Comments

  1. A dark and cunning Thriller with psychological suspense . Good twist in the middle.Not all is what it seems.
    You would want to think about the story when you have finished reading it .
    But why such an ending? hard to swallow.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It will now be placed in a moderation queue for approval.